Transferring Data To New HDD

H4rry_2114

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
So I bought i new 2tb HDD because my current 500gb one is a bit small. But at the same time my dad is also making a new pc and I wanted to lower the cost so i'd give him my 500gb HDD. I want to see if it's possible to transfer ALL my data plus windows from to old hdd to my new hdd at once. if it is how am I able to do it?

Solution

Specifically, just like this:
(substitute "new 2TB HDD" for "SSD")

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Make a disk image of the system to whatever media you have that will hold the number of Gigabytes required. Then make a recovery disk at the end of the disk image run when asked. Finally use the recovery disk and the backup media to restore your system to the new drive.

Alternative way: Use a free cloning pgm (like EaseUs) to clone the new drive from the old drive. You will want them both installed in the machine to do this, of course.

USAFRet

Titan

Specifically, just like this:
(substitute "new 2TB HDD" for "SSD")

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from H4rry_2114 : "Transferring specific data"

Options are only 2:
  • cloning or
    full reinstall.
Can you post screenshot from Disk Management? That will help to determine, which option is better/possible.