Transferring files from C drive to D.

Samuel_100

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Recently the C drive on my laptop has been completely filled while the other D drive is empty. I figured I could move all (or some) of my files such as photos, programs, and other stuff in the the separate drive. Is it as simple as drag and drop or will that cause problems? Please help :(

Solution
Correct, all things in program files folders need to be reinstalled on D to work.
If you have steam game libraries, you can move them and then point the clients default library location at new folder, no need to reinstall them. Same applies for Origin as well. If you have wow installed, you can move its install folder without needing to reinstall.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can't just drag/drop programs, they won;t work if you do that and will mess up windows. If you want to install them on D you need to uninstall them from C and set their location as D when you reinstall them.

You can move library folders like photos, music, documents, movies by doing the below, I will use music as an example
create a folder on D called Music
navigate in file explorer to the library folder for music
right click and choose properties
click the location tab
choose move and select the music folder you made on D drive and choose apply. It will ask to move contents and say Okay provided the address is correct.

define other stuff?

if this is Windows 10 you can also move the onedrive folder which would clean up space as well.

Samuel_100

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Other stuff includes folders/files like Program files and Program files(x86). Pretty sure going based off of what you just told me I would have to uninstall the programs I want to move and some how reinstall them on the other drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Correct, all things in program files folders need to be reinstalled on D to work.
If you have steam game libraries, you can move them and then point the clients default library location at new folder, no need to reinstall them. Same applies for Origin as well. If you have wow installed, you can move its install folder without needing to reinstall.

Solution