Transferring from ssd(boot drive) to hdd(storage)

John1029

Honorable
Feb 8, 2017
I recently picked up an ssd, obviously I wanted to use it as a boot drive with the non-important things on an hdd. I started by cloning the hdd to the sdd, maybe this was a bad idea. But now I'm trying to move nonessential things back to the hdd, now that the ssd is my boot drive. But I'm running into problems. So here are the questions I have

1. Can I move desktop and other remaining user files. I moved documents, pics, etc. but can't more desktop and am unsure if the other folder have to be in my C: users directory. https://gyazo.com/be0d5e7ab32bfb16c3409d7138d15149
EDIT--Missed the location tab on Desktop

2. Can I set it to install programs to the HDD by default without having to alter the file path, and if not is there a way to install apps that dont let you alter file path onto the HDD

3. Not so much a question about moving stuff but just to be sure. Can I re-install/wipe/factory reset my windows/sdd after I've moved everything. I want to clean it up a bit more after I'm done with things I find important but I don't want to break everything.

That's all I can think of right now but if I think of anything else I put it below.
If there's something I missed or something else I could do to free up space or make life easier please lmk.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
#2. No. Nor should you.
There is no reliable safe way to default all application installs to a different drive.

And unless you messed up and bought a really small SSD, you want your applications on that SSD anyway.

Steam games, yes.
Regular applications? No.

John1029

Honorable
Feb 8, 2017

When you say its better "not to move these folders" are you talking about user folders or programs? You just ordered your response a little weirdly so I wasn't sure. And for the link you sent wouldn't I need to wipe all my data(including my hdd) for that to be used as intended, or how I think it's intended.

I got a 500gb. was considering a 1tb but not important. I just don't see the point in having everything on my ssd, some programs might only be a few hundred mbs but I've got lots of HDD space to use and would rather save ssd space for other things. Thinks like chrome dont really need ssd performance, just one example but like I said I'd rather keep random programs on my HDD's. I was also moving everything so I could do a fresh install on my SSD to remove excess crap(if i can without screwing up all my programs on my hdd)

Is that the same thing countmike linked? wouldn't I have to re-install windows for it to be done properly or at all.

USAFRet

Titan

His link was how to do it.
My link was why not to do it.

There is little or no reason to move your whole /Users/ folder to be on a different drive.
Relocate the Libraries? Sure.
The whole /Users/ ? No.