[SOLVED] Transferring HDD from old computer to new one

Jul 20, 2019
I had an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Insider running on a Legacy Boot 1TB HDD, and all of the usb drives stopped working, so I don’t have access to the computer.

I got a new computer (Dell Precision T3600) that I installed with Windows 10 Pro but it runs on a 256GB UEFI SSD. I am able to plug both hard drives in, but can only boot to the UEFI SSD, even after I change the BIOS settings to Legacy boot, and try loading the HDD, windows just fails to load and it reboots.

I also can’t see the Legacy HDD in Windows’ Disk Management when I’m using the UEFI SSD, so I can’t just drag all of the important files over or change to a GPT disk.

Is it something that I haven’t done in my BIOS settings? Or do I need to go through extra steps first?
I need that information from my old hard drive, as it has important info. So any help/advice is appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you can put it in the (or any) PC later.

Speed? USB 3.0ish.
But for a rare use such as this...speed is somewhat irrelevant.

20 minutes or 1 hour...doesn't matter that much.
Your data is the critical element here, not a quest for uber speed.

I have one of those, and it has saved brain pain multiple times over.
Great for investigating troublesome drives that you do not want ON at boot time.

Jul 20, 2019
Yes, you can put it in the (or any) PC later.

Speed? USB 3.0ish.
But for a rare use such as this...speed is somewhat irrelevant.

20 minutes or 1 hour...doesn't matter that much.
Your data is the critical element here, not a quest for uber speed.

I have one of those, and it has saved brain pain multiple times over.
Great for investigating troublesome drives that you do not want ON at boot time.
Ok thank you, I’ll take a look into getting one!