[SOLVED] Transferring SSD with windows to a new PC

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
I am building a new PC and want to use my old SSD with windows 10 and all my files on it on the new system. Would windows still work on this new pc? Or is windows tied to the hardware of my old PC?

Solution
I am building a new PC and want to use my old SSD with windows 10 and all my files on it on the new system. Would windows still work on this new pc? Or is windows tied to the hardware of my old PC?
2 considerations:
Operation and Licensing.

The Licensing has to do with where this Win 10 came from.
Preinstalled on a system from the store, upgraded, from a previous Window 7/8, something you bought.

Depending on the answer, you may be able to transfer the license to new hardware.

Operation
Moving a drive+OS to a whole new system is strongly not recommended, possibly impossible.
There are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3...
If its an OEM copy of windows then it is tied to your old mobo, however under certain circumstances Microsoft will transfer the key to new hardware.

Saying that though, and contrary to what Microsoft say you need to reinstall Windows on a new mobo/chipsets due to unforeseen conflicts that arise. Its not really if you will have strange issue or performance problems but when.

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
If its an OEM copy of windows then it is tied to your old mobo, however under certain circumstances Microsoft will transfer the key to new hardware.

Saying that though, and contrary to what Microsoft say you need to reinstall Windows on a new mobo/chipsets due to unforeseen conflicts that arise. Its not really if you will have strange issue or performance problems but when.
How do i know if its an OEM copy? If my pc was built by Dell etc? I got the windows 10 license from my school but I graduated awhile ago so I don't have the license key anymore. If I need to reinstall windows that would mean I have to buy windows 10 right? I can't just pop the ssd into my new motherboard and get it to work like that?

USAFRet

Titan
2 considerations:
Operation and Licensing.

Preinstalled on a system from the store, upgraded, from a previous Window 7/8, something you bought.

Depending on the answer, you may be able to transfer the license to new hardware.

Operation
Moving a drive+OS to a whole new system is strongly not recommended, possibly impossible.
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
I've seen all 3.
Depending on what the old and new parts are, I'd expect #2, followed by #3, with a tiny possibility of #1.

Clean install on the new system.
Full wipe and reinstallation of the OS and everything else.

Solution

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
2 considerations:
Operation and Licensing.

Operation
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
I've seen all 3.
Depending on what the old and new parts are, I'd expect #2, followed by #3, with a tiny possibility of #1.

Clean install on the new system.
Full wipe and reinstallation of the OS and everything else.
Alright thanks I guess I'll move everything over to a backup drive then buy and install a new copy of windows then.