[SOLVED] Transferring W10 from one machine to a new one

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
In the near future I will be upgrading all hardware, and would like to transfer W10 to the new machine. I understand that the first step is to link the W10 license to my MS account. The question is after the new HW is created and ready, do I need to 'cancel' the license on the old machine before I try and enable it on the new machine? If so, how?

Not sure of the actual sequencing of tasks.....thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
In the near future I will be upgrading all hardware, and would like to transfer W10 to the new machine. I understand that the first step is to link the W10 license to my MS account. The question is after the new HW is created and ready, do I need to 'cancel' the license on the old machine before I try and enable it on the new machine? If so, how?

Not sure of the actual sequencing of tasks.....thanks.
no need to cancel licence on old machine, moving it to new and simply not using old PC is enough.

This page shows steps you can take before/after transfer - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks guys....I know it seems simple, but when I followed this exact process the last time I built a machine (about a month ago) it did not work. The license would not activate....called MS, the tech then spent the next hour and a half on my pc to get it to work. I thought at the time, and now that I did something wrong....no?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, I hear ya....it could also have something to do with the kind of license I have. I started out with W7 Pro, and took advantage of the upgrade to W10 Pro. Perhaps there is some issue in there somewhere.....

That being said, I will follow the instructions/guidelines again....