Transparent OLED Screen; Yummy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Amazing!
Oled... Transparent!
The good is probably for store owners playing back commercials on their store windows.
The bad is,you can't really use this technology on a laptop if you want some form of privacy...
You could have a flexible plastic or intransparent silicon based flap on the back, foldable like a sunscreen on a window; but then you won't benefit over a regular screen which costs less.

The good would probably be (I presume) if on the back one could install a mirror;directly on the screen, without glass subtract between.
Then perhaps one can create some sort of solar reflective screen if possible.
Works with regular TFT,so I hope some of this technology can be used to create those semi-reflective screens (no need for backlight).

dyingcat

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Where do they put the circuits controlling the pixels?
If they can make the panel really transparent, we can stack the panels and make a 3D display eh?

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Other than using that on cars (like afrobacon pointed out - it should be bendable also), I really don't see the use of those other than some fancy commercials on a store window or a pretty nice bracelet/3G phone/clock (all in one).. Do you guys remember a nokia commercial 'testing' this kind of phone?

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
We are so close to having a real life master chief! Now we just need to invent MJOLNIR armor, inject someone's bones with titanium, kidnap children at 6 and clone them to train them for battle, and all the um, easy stuff :D

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
You guys are missing the obvious. Monitor in your glasses. You know like in all the future movies, or like the guy on the cover of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2. You set the aimbot to target all the hot chicks and you wouldn't have to move your head!

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I was thinking what dyingcat was thinking... wouldn't this be an easy method of creating 3D displays? This would certainly be a great technology, but I just don't know what it would be used for off hand...

G

OLED clothing that mirrors the surroundings gets the fast track development.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is a dumb idea, it's cool but not very practical, especially if you are looking for true color output and definition. this kind of tech is what i call "fad"

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]this is a dumb idea, it's cool but not very practical, especially if you are looking for true color output and definition. this kind of tech is what i call "fad"[/citation] People in the '1880s thought cars were a "fad". [citation][nom]stealth91[/nom]i have seen this done before using a normal LCD screen monitor.[/citation] Stealth91 that would be impossible, since normal LCDs don't have their own illumination power. This looks very promising, considering the myriad of transparent surfaces that surround us all the time - in conjunction with touchscreen technology that can transform them into interactive displays that don't really need dedicated space. They can be actually embedded into glass walls in shops and the such. Though from what i see from the photo - there is much to be desired in terms of transparency, but that being an immature technology doesn't worry me. I hope that the reception will be good.

G

I think it will be not really possible to create 3D TV from this; at most you'll be able to use 2 to 3 layers of film, before the screen becomes near to 'in-transparent'.

I'm also not very sure if sitting at an angle will give you a nice view,since layers will not match; so I think it's not very likely to see this invention applied in 3D tv.

G

This definitely needs to go into glasses and stuff. It would be the coolest thing ever to get directions and things through them. The downside being that other people can see you doing it.

Well, it would be pretty cool to show it off I 'spose

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
What - no one thought of computer case window bling? I mean, after talking about windows on a car and how people mod those with custom neon lighting, aren't computer cases the next logical step?

G

Other than using that on cars (like afrobacon pointed out - it should be bendable also), I really don't see the use of those other than some fancy commercials on a store window or a pretty nice bracelet/3G phone/clock (all in one).. Do you guys remember a nokia commercial 'testing' this kind of phone?

I remember people saying: "Why the hell would the world need more than two or three computing-machines?
Those would be more more than enough to compute the worlds financial issues!"

That was more than 50 years or so ago, when "computers" that filled large rooms, couldn't even do what a ordinary casio-calculator (or so) can do during maths classes today.

Imagination and the possibility to do things creates "needs". There was no need to personal computers, till they got available to the public.

So there will be a need for certain, when (transparent)OLED-screens get cheaper and more versatile in use. I say, not even 5 years in the future, you can't imagine why you said "I don't see a need for transparent OLEDs" :D

Just wait and see :D I'm quite impressed :D

G

The reason it does not look transparent is because the background of the TV show they are watching is Black so therefore the screen is producing a black. If the TV show could send a signal to say that the background should be transparent so the screen could say to itself, hey i dont need to produce any color there. Then it would be truely transparent.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]whiz[/nom]People in the '1880s thought cars were a "fad". Stealth91 that would be impossible, since normal LCDs don't have their own illumination power. This looks very promising, considering the myriad of transparent surfaces that surround us all the time - in conjunction with touchscreen technology that can transform them into interactive displays that don't really need dedicated space. They can be actually embedded into glass walls in shops and the such. Though from what i see from the photo - there is much to be desired in terms of transparency, but that being an immature technology doesn't worry me. I hope that the reception will be good.[/citation]

ok, cars are not and will never be a fad, i take that back, i think that these "hybrid" crap are a fad. think about it, you still burn gas to charge the batteries, plus more batteries to replace. it's a waste.

now back to the topic at hand. think about it, when you are doing any kind of photo editing or watching a dvd, do you really want to see behind the screen or do you want to see bright high def colors? if there was an option were you could darken the background then maybe it will work. if this was possible then you can change it when you need it for privacy so others can't see what you are doing, lol.

gTumba

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I agree with whiz. I wouldn't be so quick to judge what its worth. I think whats even more exciting about OLED screens is the possibility to mass produce them using inkjet printers. Once that is figured out, the only limitation to how big a screen one could produce would be from the limitations of such a printer.

G

Interesting notion. Note that its a little late and i'm a little plastered, however - that being said, I figure this would be a great precursor to augmented reality in some form or another - i mean VR is great and all, but citing Ghost in the Shell, and other varied cyberpunkish works, AR is where it's at.

At this point in my post i've gone back and read what you've all written before, and...

- I love dyingcat's idea of stacking panels as much as I love 3d IC development - brilliant, however I wonder about the properties of the optics, varied unhelpful physics-related effex and such...

- to 'the last resort' - yes, but think of the future (which i'm certain you're doing) - uberdope (pardon the lack of umulaut!)

- kewl monkey, you made me chuckle tonight.. thanks man!

- trialsking, although thinking with his peepee, is exactly what i'm all over... glasses/goggle-based AR...

- to mdillenbeck... bling is dope... long live da bling!

- to the fad haters, you're just like scifi haters... you should be burned at the stake and eaten, because everyone loves chicken! especially with korean BBQ sauce...

yours truly - DharmaSoldat

nacoran

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Windshields? Shops windows? I have a whole wall of windows in my apartment. Yes, the view of the trees outside is beautiful, but if I'm watching TV I don't really need the view right then. That would let me put things that don't go in front of the windows as well, like shelves, on other wall space. Combine this with those windows that darken with the flip of a switch and you have a pretty sweet set up, and if your neighbors kid hits a baseball through the window a flexible OLED screen should just get knocked out of the way.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Now flexible AND transparent OLEDs will be... well... that would immensly kick ass. I so hope they develop the OLED technology faster, though I kind of doubt it, because they just got the TFT market right...

Status
Not open for further replies.