[SOLVED] Transporting RTX 2060 without anti static bag?

Alex0008

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Hello, I'm currently about to fly and wondering would my GPU be safe for that flight? I have everything else that came with the GPU, the box, the covers for the HDMI/DP cables etc. The only thing I don't have is the anti static bag, is it safe for that flight to put the GPU in the box without it? or are they any other alternatives?

Thanks.

Solution
Here is something I came across....and I tend to agree.

Although I actually have ruined circuit boards with static...because I do electronics for a living...but I think it's pretty rare.

Here it is>>>

I just had to read through this post to finish chuckling over how argumentative the discussion became over anti-static bags!

I've been working with computers for over 30 yrs now and hardly ever use any anti-static protection for anything. Why? Because the chance of static discharge that would cause such an event is SOOOOO freakin' rare. Unless of course you like to rub your feet on the carpet and poke someone's nose before you start working with your boards or chips.

I've had hundreds of units (mobo's, video cards, memory chips, etc.)...

Although I actually have ruined circuit boards with static...because I do electronics for a living...but I think it's pretty rare.

Here it is>>>

I just had to read through this post to finish chuckling over how argumentative the discussion became over anti-static bags!

I've been working with computers for over 30 yrs now and hardly ever use any anti-static protection for anything. Why? Because the chance of static discharge that would cause such an event is SOOOOO freakin' rare. Unless of course you like to rub your feet on the carpet and poke someone's nose before you start working with your boards or chips.

I've had hundreds of units (mobo's, video cards, memory chips, etc.) laying in drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc. I can pick them up 10 years later, after they've been in 3 or 4 machines even, and they still work just fine. I've shipped umpteen times in bubble-wrap that was discharged by my own hand before packaging. I've stored and shipped items sandwiched between plain foam with no problems, EVER.

Sure, spend the money on overpriced ESD protection if you like, and I would as well, if I needed to protect a very sensitive or pricey item like a high-end motherboard, otherwise.... pfff don't worry so much about something that's probably less common to happen than getting struck by lightning. Yes, I know 10v of electricity are enough to zap a poor 'ol microchip and that we can't even see it ourselves unless it hits around 10k v, but regardless, I've learned that discharging yourself prior to handling and working in an environment that is not conducive to building up static is all you need to concern yourselves with.

I'd love to hear any horror stories of people losing any equipment to static, cuz I have yet to hear one myself.

Reactions: Alex0008
Solution

Alex0008

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
My opinion. Anti static bag that's fine when they make the product it comes sealed so you know it's new.
Putting it back in a box without one. Paper/cardboard boxes don't build up static.

I think the GPU will be in its box for about a day maximum before I land and then straight back into the pc, so i am feeling better about transporting it now thanks.

Alex0008

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019

Here it is>>>

I've had hundreds of units (mobo's, video cards, memory chips, etc.) laying in drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc. I can pick them up 10 years later, after they've been in 3 or 4 machines even, and they still work just fine. I've shipped umpteen times in bubble-wrap that was discharged by my own hand before packaging. I've stored and shipped items sandwiched between plain foam with no problems, EVER.

Sure, spend the money on overpriced ESD protection if you like, and I would as well, if I needed to protect a very sensitive or pricey item like a high-end motherboard, otherwise.... pfff don't worry so much about something that's probably less common to happen than getting struck by lightning. Yes, I know 10v of electricity are enough to zap a poor 'ol microchip and that we can't even see it ourselves unless it hits around 10k v, but regardless, I've learned that discharging yourself prior to handling and working in an environment that is not conducive to building up static is all you need to concern yourselves with.

I'd love to hear any horror stories of people losing any equipment to static, cuz I have yet to hear one myself.

Its reassuring if someones transporting components without the bag for 30 plus years, Mine one has to stay in the box for one day and it'll be back into the PC again, Thank you for the help.