Tredripper 1950x - 1080Ti Sli Bottleneck?

KHansen

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
Hey Guys. A few days ago, I bought the new Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, so i can render faster because my job demand it. But it makes a bottleneck on my 1080Ti. In some games, will second card help me reduce the bottleneck. I have 1440p monitor, if that can help. know some games dont use two cards but the once that does.

Solution
You don't need a second card if you are gaming at 1440p. The only reason to get a second 1080ti would be to game at 4k +60hz. Considering there is not a 4k monitor that goes beyond 60hz, the bottleneck will be your monitor and not your GPU. I know this because I run 2 1080ti's in sli.

Threadripper is a great CPU, but it is NOT a gaming CPU. Games scale well to very fast single threaded CPU performance and Threadripper is designed for high performing multi threaded applications.

What is the game you are having issues with? Some games are so poorly optimized that it does not matter what hardware you throw at it, there will still be framedrops.
You don't need a second card if you are gaming at 1440p. The only reason to get a second 1080ti would be to game at 4k +60hz. Considering there is not a 4k monitor that goes beyond 60hz, the bottleneck will be your monitor and not your GPU. I know this because I run 2 1080ti's in sli.

Threadripper is a great CPU, but it is NOT a gaming CPU. Games scale well to very fast single threaded CPU performance and Threadripper is designed for high performing multi threaded applications.

What is the game you are having issues with? Some games are so poorly optimized that it does not matter what hardware you throw at it, there will still be framedrops.

Solution

KHansen

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016

How much performance difference do you think it will make?

There is not as much data on threadripper as there is for Ryzen because Ryzen in the mainstream chip. Here is a review that shows a 10% performance increase from moving from 2400 to 3200. There may be even a bigger increase by moving from 2133. I would not be surprised if you would see a 15% increase or more in a lot of games.

You should also look UMA and NUMA settings. The PerPer article gives some good information and Tom's just released an article reviewing game mode on the 1950x. Some games work better in certain modes. I would look at some of the internal options of threadripper before I went and bought another 1080ti.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1950X-and-1920X-Review/Memory-Mode-UMANUMA-and-Memory-Spee

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-game-performance,5207.html

KHansen

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016

Thx sir for the help, think i am going to use two systems. My old 6700K for gaming and the other one as renderfarm.

That is your best option!

KHansen

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016

One of the expensive ones, but f... it i only live once... hahah thx for the help