TRENDnet Releases Powerline Networking Kit Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

TrendNet has been making these for quite a while and in my honest opinion are the highest in quality. Some of those other brands won't last long and burn out for whatever reason but TrendNet has been rock solid. These work great in apartments and can also be used in houses. Houses circuit breaker panels are usually broken up into two legs. There is a device (bridge) you can buy that connects both legs so certain frequencies can communicate between those legs (like X10). If you use the bridge it should work fine.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
The missing pass-through electrical plug is a show stopper. Often, one of the plugs on an outlet is switched. That mean, without a pass-through, the entire plug is used up. No place to plug in the router, etc. And don't say, "use a power strip"; These devices work best plugged directly into the outlet.

chiphead

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]The missing pass-through electrical plug is a show stopper. Often, one of the plugs on an outlet is switched. That mean, without a pass-through, the entire plug is used up. No place to plug in the router, etc. And don't say, "use a power strip"; These devices work best plugged directly into the outlet.[/citation]

Um, not often...One plug on a Dual-Plug outlet would be switched in a bedroom. Just plug it into another outlet in the room and run a Cat5 cable to it. Or if your house is already wired you could use any plug in the house, check your circuit, then plug the other one. Perfect for getting internet connectivity in the garage. I put a 32" TV on the garage wall and a PC and speakers. It is awsome to work on the cars now. I have a sling box too. Music, sports, and I can look up parts and how to's. Love it!

Normally, it's the top socket on an outlet that is 'switched' so the unit may be installed in the lower socket.

The only other issue that can affect performance -- an electric panel has 2 x 120v 'legs' Sometimes, the unit will only operate via circuits on the same 'leg' of the panel.

(and the first poster is confusing Mb/s with MB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS