TRENDnet Teases Open Source-Friendly Entry Level Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Good to know. Things haven't been the same since Linksys got bought out by Cisco, the struggle to find routers supporting this firmware or that is becoming challenging especially when each model has multiple revisions some supported and some not.

I wish all home router manufacturers pursued this route (unintended pun). The things you can do if you're nerdy or even not so much, with a custom built router are amazing.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Eh, Treadnet left a bad taste in my mouth with routers that supposedly support WPA2 encryption, and didn't have the processing power to run the encryption without dropping connection.

Also, I fried a router after attempting to install a firmware update through Ethernet. Really?

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
4MB of Flash and 32MB of Ram is not much to work with. This leaves you with only installing the most basic packages Openwrt packages. I would just get a TP-link router for this price and specs.

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I think the best part of this is there are Companies willing to use another OS on his devices, well if you want the more robust packages of OpenWRT there's always the option of going for an appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.