TRENDnet's Wireless-N Router Provides 300 Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Wireless 300MBps isn't new. D-Link, to name one, even has Dual Band Technology. However, having 300MBps/DBT/2xUSB/price makes it a nice choice.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I really like where this is going. I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of setting this little gem in my office with a pair of 500GB+ portable HDDs just fills me with feelings I can't explain...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hmm, well, I paid $150 for my D-Link Extreme N Dual Band Gigabit router... I think this is better though, it has 2 USB ports instead of one. =D
Though my white with a black stripe D-Link is sexier.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
LOL, Iv had my wireless N router for over 6 months now and I got it free. There's no real tech using it, such as phones, laptops and consoles, so nothing new.

Let us know when other devices that require wifi start using Wireless N, so that the 4 laptops, about 5 phones and 2 consoles in my house can take advantage of it. I connect with wired ethernet, so wireless tech doesnt disturb my connection/net usage.

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I'm sorry but is this a news story or and advertisement. Did TRENDNet bribe you to post this article? If the router was, for instanc, the first available complying to the final 801.11n specifications, then I could see this being newsworthy.

I don't like being negative, but I care about standards. I'm sure it's a fine router.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Far too expensive still, my $20 wireless-n pci card in my free firewall (reused dell gx260) with pfsense is a much more capable device. Guess it does use more power, but whoopdy f'n doo.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
The specs say N (Draft 2.0). I find that disappointing. I was hoping the new year would bring wireless N routers that are based on the final standard, not more Draft 2.0 hardware. I will have to start looking at the specs of other N hardware announced at CES...

What I really want is a 4 or 8 port (gigabit) wireless N router that can accept two WAN connections because I have had reliability problems with each of the ISPs I can use. Fortunately I have never seen them both down at the same time, but right now I don't have a router that dynamically switches between ISPs. Switching will break my connections, but at least I would be able to reestablish them without waiting.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I have tried Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys. Both adapters and routers, the longest lasting of the routers was the D-Link. The other two were dead in four months. Worst part is even with matching adapters Wireless N is typically line of sight. Just the other day I tried pairing a TrendNET adapter with my D-Link Dual Band router, and I'm impressed. The one thing that upset me to no end was some of the spyware imbedded in the connection utility. I just yanked the driver of the CD and good to go. TrendNET seems to make solid hardware, the software is a joke though.

G

Use an old PC to merge the connections together like michaelahess is doing.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Cablechewer pfsense supports multi-wan, I run it with policy based routing between connections but you can easily setup load balancing and fail-over with it.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Good luck finding a provider that delivers more than 30 Mbps in the US; and that you can handle with a simple G router. Who needs N in the US?
802.11N(obody) :D
Come to the EU: 120 Mbps for only 80 euros a month

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Many of these routers often have very lacking QOS, they have some presets and other basic stuff, not nearly enough to customize it in a way that will allow prioritize very specific things, while a 3rd party firmware like tomato will allow that, to me the router is not worth it unless they make it work with firmware like tomato and other open source firmware

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
@Razor512
Why would you need QoS if you have plenty of bandwidth?
QoS is for dealing with temporary data congestion.
Only reason I can think of is for VoIP packets: making sure that they get VIP (priority bandwidth) treatment.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Cox Cable is my ISP. I don't think Cox is able to deliver 300 Mbps.[/citation]
The 300Mbps is for the wireless connection, not the WAN connection, that is most likely a Gigabit connection (which your Cox connection won't reach either).

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Why is everyone worried about internet speeds? I need the 300 "theoretical" for my LAN, I stream multiple 1080p streams to my laptops, 54g just won't cut it at only 22 or so Mb/sec. And it makes file transfers much faster, I used to plug into one of my switches when I had large files to transfer from Laptop to server (iso's), don't need to do that anymore. I've only got an 8mx384k and 10mx3m internet connection, no strain at all for ANY router that's less than five years old.

I'd be surprised if the wan is 1Gb, most likely still 100Mb, costs less and a gig connection is definitely not needed.

G

I'm with Time Warner cable using a Mac Powerbook that is "n" capable, and want to buy a wireless router that guests using PCs can also share. I don't play games but imagine watching good quality video and sometimes need to upload 2 hour MP3 sound files. I have no idea what my current wired speed is. How can I find out? Any suggestions for a router? I don't need to go with a Mac product.

G

Good luck finding a provider that delivers more than 30 Mbps in the US; and that you can handle with a simple G router. Who needs N in the US?
802.11N(obody) :D
Come to the EU: 120 Mbps for only 80 euros a month

Status
Not open for further replies.