Question Tricks to fish an ethernet cable out of a wall?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Running a new line or two to a new room. It's an external wall. I am able to get the fishing pole type devices down through the insulation, but I'm not sure how to find the line and get it out of the wall through the little opening I have cut for the ethernet box. Thanks for any ideas you might have. :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Having someone to help would be easier but if not, tie some string at the end of the cable and shove something sticky through the hole and hopefully string touches it and can grab the string by gently pulling the sticky contraption out.

kanewolf

Titan
Running a new line or two to a new room. It's an external wall. I am able to get the fishing pole type devices down through the insulation, but I'm not sure how to find the line and get it out of the wall through the little opening I have cut for the ethernet box. Thanks for any ideas you might have. :)
They make magnetic fishing devices like this one -- https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Puller-Stainless-Steel-Klein-Tools/dp/B093J6Z5QT/?th=1 The magnet allows you to pull the end of the puller directly to you.
It may also be the case that you will have to try to start the pull sticks from the box end or even try to hook a loop of string you put into the wall from the top. Every wall is different.

Walls with insulation in them are such a pain. I used the standard somewhat flexible fiberglass rods that in theory at least glow in the dark. I could push it down though the small hole I drilled and could tell it hit the bottom but it never seemed to line up with the hole in the wall . I knew it has to be less than 8 inches on either side of by hole so I took a coat hanger and went exploring until I caught it. Took quite a while the fish rods are actually too flexible in some ways.

That though worked only on the simple wall. Others I ended up cutting huge holes in the drywall because of other wood in the path. It is actually easy to hide a big hole in drywall than small ones.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Ended up finding a helper that was able to find it while I was on the other end banging the fiberglass pole against the base board. Don't think I could have done it solo.

TRENDING THREADS