[SOLVED] Trident 3200mhz not working in ROG z370-g gaming (wifi ac)

Apr 24, 2020
Only will STABLEY boot at 2933mhz. Tried to enable xmp then I save and exit and then my pc doesn't boot. After I take out cmos and restart I change everything back to default. I re-enable xmp and look at what is changing and the timing and voltage seems to be correct but it sets my speed to 3200 (which is what I am aiming for but when I hit save and exit again the same thing happens again) does the speed need to be set to something specific? I have a 700w power supply, an Intel is 8350k (which I know maxes out at 2400mglhz for RAM and needs xmp profile to run at 3200) I have no clue what to do next. I don't want to feel like I just wasted money to have slower ram speed then what I just took out of my computer..

Last edited:
Solution
Did you check for RAM and motherboard compatibility in the memory QVL for the motherboard?

Your motherboard supports up to 4000MHz RAM frequency (OC), if the RAM and motherboard are compatible.

The 3200MHz XMP profile advertised by G.Skill is only a guarantee that the RAM are capable of operating at that frequency. The XMP frequency is only guranteed under optimal conditions - some configurations may not be able to achieve the 3200MHz stable.

The XMP frequency is an overclock, and overclocks can't always be quaranteed, it also depends on the CPU IMC and the motherboard.

The memory controller in the CPU might not be able to support that frequency, which could be what's holding you back in this case.

Sometimes adding a little...

jessenwindlim

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
what motherboards ? , also a 3200 clock wouldnt even matter that much , the i3 8350k wouldnt even benefit the overclock , so even buting a fast ram for that is a bit of a waste of money , sry bud - but if youre determined , it could be that youre motherboard doesnt support 3200 ?

Did you check for RAM and motherboard compatibility in the memory QVL for the motherboard?

Your motherboard supports up to 4000MHz RAM frequency (OC), if the RAM and motherboard are compatible.

The 3200MHz XMP profile advertised by G.Skill is only a guarantee that the RAM are capable of operating at that frequency. The XMP frequency is only guranteed under optimal conditions - some configurations may not be able to achieve the 3200MHz stable.

The XMP frequency is an overclock, and overclocks can't always be quaranteed, it also depends on the CPU IMC and the motherboard.

The memory controller in the CPU might not be able to support that frequency, which could be what's holding you back in this case.

Sometimes adding a little more DRAM voltage to the RAM, can help achieving the XMP frequency.

Try bumping your DRAM voltage to 1.40v and see if that helps - it is worth a try, but it doesn't always help

If you have the options in BIOS to manually adjust IO and SA voltage, that can somtimes also increase memory stability, but usually that is not neccessary to change, unless you are trying to run very high XMP frequency settings. 3200MHz is fairly common, and usually don't require a lot of manual adjustments to run well.

EDIT :

Do you have the option to choose between two different XMP profiles in BIOS? (XMP I and XMP II)

If you do, XMP II are the settings specified by G.Skill

XMP I are XMP settings tweaked by ASUS.

If you have the option, try both XMP profiles, and see if one of them is possibly stable at 3200MHz

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 24, 2020

Sometimes adding a little more DRAM voltage to the RAM, can help achieving the XMP frequency.

Try bumping your DRAM voltage to 1.40v and see if that helps - it is worth a try, but it doesn't always help

If you have the options in BIOS to manually adjust IO and SA voltage, that can somtimes also increase memory stability, but usually that is not neccessary to change, unless you are trying to run very high XMP frequency settings. 3200MHz is fairly common, and usually don't require a lot of manual adjustments to run well.

EDIT :

Do you have the option to choose between two different XMP profiles in BIOS? (XMP I and XMP II)

If you do, XMP II are the settings specified by G.Skill

XMP I are XMP settings tweaked by ASUS.

If you have the option, try both XMP profiles, and see if one of them is possibly stable at 3200MHz
The RAM and motherboard are compatible from checking QVL, when I enable to xmp and change the voltage, should the speed be set to 3200MHz or auto or another speed to achieve 3200MHz?

The RAM and motherboard are compatible from checking QVL, when I enable to xmp and change the voltage, should the speed be set to 3200MHz or auto or another speed to achieve 3200MHz?

When applying the XMP profile, BIOS usually defaults to the max XMP frequency (3200MHz in this case), but I don't know if there are sometimes exceptions from this.

If it says Auto, even after applying the XMP profile, try setting it to 3200MHz

Do you have two options for XMP profile in BIOS (XMP I and XMP II)?

If you do, did you try both profiles as I suggested above?

Apr 24, 2020
When applying the XMP profile, BIOS usually defaults to the max XMP frequency (3200MHz in this case), but I don't know if there are sometimes exceptions from this.

Do you have two options for XMP profile in BIOS (XMP I and XMP II)?

If you do, did you try both profiles as I suggested above?
I do not, once I click on xmp it shows one options which is "profile #1". Also thank you for your assistance as well!

I do not, once I click on xmp it shows one options which is "profile #1". Also thank you for your assistance as well!

Ah, that's a shame. Both my previous and current ASUS RoG motherboards has the two XMP profile options in BIOS, so I was hoping yours did as well, since one of them is configured by ASUS themselves. I was hoping it could help achieve 3200MHz stable

I can't really think of anything else right now if you already tried bumping DRAM voltage to 1.40v, other than the integrated memory controller in your CPU is not capable of operating with a 3200MHz memory frequency (overclock).

Hopefully someone else has some more usefull advice which will help solve the problem.

TRENDING THREADS