[SOLVED] TRIDENT Z G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX VS G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Nov 14, 2021
Just wondering if I could combine 16 GB (8x2) of each, together.

I already have the version with the “X” and i am looking to buy 16 more gigs of the non “X” version (32 gigs in total).

Would the RGB still be synced between the two sets? Like would they be treated as the same ram modules (in the bios, or dedicated software, etc?)

Can I do this with the Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi, or will I into some issues?

Solution

You could, but i'd still give 50:50 chance of both sets working together.
Reason why written in here (under The Odd Man Out): https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

X version is made compatible for AMD CPUs and due to that, there are some changes. And even when both sets would be completely identical, mixing them is still a game of chance.

I did play the same game of chance, by minimizing all possible chances of two sets not working together, by:
  • Buying the exact same part number RAM sets (HX430C15SB2K2/8), from the same vendor.
  • Making sure from my MoBo memory QVL...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Reason why written in here (under The Odd Man Out): https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

X version is made compatible for AMD CPUs and due to that, there are some changes. And even when both sets would be completely identical, mixing them is still a game of chance.

I did play the same game of chance, by minimizing all possible chances of two sets not working together, by:
  • Buying the exact same part number RAM sets (HX430C15SB2K2/8), from the same vendor.
  • Making sure from my MoBo memory QVL list, that this specific RAM is tested, and can run at advertised speed (3000 Mhz) when all 4 RAM slots are populated.
  • Crossing my fingers for good luck.
And i got good luck. Both of my RAM sets did work together and they still do, to this date, while running in 3000 Mhz XMP.

Would the RGB still be synced between the two sets?

As far as i can tell, yes. Both seem to utilize the same LED tech.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 14, 2021

• Making sure from my MoBo memory QVL list, that this specific RAM is tested, and can run at advertised speed (3000 Mhz) when all 4 RAM slots are populated.
  • Crossing my fingers for good luck.
And i got good luck. Both of my RAM sets did work together and they still do, to this date, while running in 3000 Mhz XMP.

As far as i can tell, yes. Both seem to utilize the same LED tech.
So, would you recommend getting a kit without the "X" for $102 CAD, or getting a kit with the "X" for $145 (CAD)?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to minimize the chances, get the X version of the RAM, since you already have that.

Though, you could MAYBE save 43 CAD, if you go with non-X version and it works fine. Though, question is, can you return the non-X version and get all your money back if it doesn't work? So, that you can try your chances with X version.

Last edited: