Question Trident Z Neo Series RAM Won't Run Stable on MSI MPG x570 Gaming Wifi Edge Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2020
I can't get my new G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC or G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (for AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM Desktop Memory F4-3600C18D-32GTZN to run stable at rated speeds. The reason I say or is because I returned the first kit thinking it was faulty and got the second and both result in reboots once the memory is mildly tested, hence instability. I have tried taking out the CMOS battery and waiting 3 minutes and reseating the ram. My bios is on the most updated version besides the beta. I've tried increasing memory volts to 1.350V and that still doesn't work. This is my last-ditch effort before I give up and stick with my Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) 2400Mhz C16's. The CPU isn't overclocked, running stock speeds with an AIO. I can't don't know what else to do. Any and all help is appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600Mhz
MOBO: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

Edit: 1/9/2020 3:34 PM

Now I reinstalled my old ram kit and that keeps restarting too. My old corsair kit was running perfectly stable and now it's not. I don't know what is going on.

Edit: 1/9/2020/ 4:27 PM

I flashed my bios to the beta version and my system seems to have stabilized both with XMP on or off. I suspect if I try the new ram kit it may work but I have had enough of troubleshooting for today.

Last edited:
The latest BIOS version is only relevant to optical drive compatibility. Nothing to do with memory compatibility.

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit? That is the way to determine if this is a compatibility problem or not. EXACT model of the memory kit.

If you don't know, and don't have the package or the purchase receipt to retrieve the model from, then install CPU-Z, click on the SPD tab, select one of the DIMM slots that contains memory from the top left drop down menu and look under "part number".

Jan 9, 2020
I tried both F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC and F4-3600C18D-32GTZN kits and neither worked at advertised speeds in a stable fashion. Conveniently neither are listed as compatible under the MOBO's support page here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-mem-19
However, it is listed as supported under G.Skill's QVL here: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Qvl and here respectively: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840525/F4-3600C18D-32GTZN-Qvl

Currently, I am using my old and now stable kit (2x8GB) of CMK8GX4M1A2400C16. It is not listed as compatible under MSI's support page but works perfectly fine with no overclock besides the basic XMP profile.

Well, pretty much any kit under 2666mhz is likely to work, and be stable, since there those are within the confines of the basic JEDEC profiles for DDR4, barring any basic BIOS issues which may have been your initial problem.

Often it is necessary to not only update to a firmware version that offers better stability and compatibility, but also perform a hard reset to wipe the BIOS from trying to remember any old configuration settings and completely reset the hardware configuration tables.

Yes, both those kits are shown as compatible not only on the G.Skill QVL, which I don't use, but on the G.Skill memory configurator, which I do. I assume they source the same compatibility tables but it seems I've found a few errors here and there on their QVL which is likely due to a lack of updating information after firmware changes have occurred that have changed factual compatibility. Regardless, those SHOULD both work.

Motherboard QVL lists are practically worthless (Unless of course your memory IS listed there AND there is an indication on the QVL that not only is that model supported BUT that it is supported at the full advertised speed. OFTEN, that is not the case, and the fact that your memory is listed there ONLY means that it will run, not that it will run at it's advertised profile/XMP speed. In some cases, they DO indicate that it has been tested at the XMP configuration.) because they only test a small sampling so the fact that any memory module isn't listed is literally a pointless assessment. Read it, and if it's not listed, go "Pfffffft" and move on to the memory manufacturers website.

It may be that you know where there are supposed to be installed, BUT, a LOT of users AND builders, including many of the people right here on this forum that have building systems for a good many years, do NOT install/populate them correctly despite the fact that EVERY single dual channel architecture DDR4 consumer motherboard in existence has exactly the same population rules.

If there is one DIMM, it should be installed in the second slot over from the CPU.

If there are two DIMMs, they should be installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU.

If it is a microATX motherboard, and it is one with ONLY two DIMM slots, it does not really matter which one you install it in if you have only one to install, but obviously in all cases installing two would be preferred in order to gain the doubled bandwidth of dual channel operation.

UB6JJIp.png

So make sure first of all that they are in the right slots because I've literally seen fifty or more cases where, probably more, somebody didn't populate them correctly and they would either not run, would run but would not use the correct amount of installed memory or would run and showed the correct amount of installed memory but would not run at the correct XMP profile speed.

So I'd shut down, make sure they are in the right slots, and then do a hard reset as follows. It is at least, worth a try. Sometimes it solves similar issues. Sometimes it doesn't, but it can't hurt to try.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Jan 9, 2020
Interesting bit of information. I can assure you the RAM is populating the correct DIMMS (A2 and B2) and I've performed the hard reset 3 times on each kit to no avail. It seems if I want to keep this kit I will have to settle for decreased speeds.

Jan 9, 2020
Unfortunately, I decided to send them back so I cannot provide you with that information.

Edit: If memory serves me right, I believe it was 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.