[SOLVED] Tried different RAMs but both don't work in XMP while in Dual-channel mode. Single-channel works fine.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hello, I am having troubles with XMP memory profile mode while running RAM in a dual-channel mode (DIMM sockets 1/3). The PC won't boot properly. It turns on and off 3 times before booting default BIOS.
I tried the same thing in a single channel mode (DIMM 1/2 or 2/4) and XMP works fine.
Dual channel works fine if XMP is off.

I also tried a different pair of RAMs:
  1. G.SKILL Flare X for AMD 32GB 3200MHz CL14 DDR4 KITOF2 F4-3200C14D-32GFX
  2. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 KITOF2 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R
Both are giving me similar results. G.SKILL won't boot at all in XMP, while Corsair seems to SOMETIMES boot but won't load the Windows.

I tried updating my BIOS. Tried versions F21, F31d, and the newest F31j. Unfortunately, that doesn't change anything.

Also tried entering timings and voltages manually. (Not sure if I did that right... but for example setting clock ratio to 32.00 from the default 21.33 and boosting voltages alongside everything else being on Auto gives me the same result as turning the entire XMP profile). Also tried entering SOME timings manually... There were so many of those, was not sure which ones are mandatory...

Please help. I don't know what to do.

p.s. Giving motherboard to warranty is not an option for me. I hate assembling PC in the first place and on top of that it would mean I have to sit at least 2-3 months without it or I have to buy a new motherboard right away.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you reckon this would be the case for many other PC users with similar rigs? If they socketed in 1 & 3 and ran XMP in dual channel. It simply does not run like that?

Yes it's the same for others. socket 1 for single DIMM in single channel mode. 2 and 4 for dual channel or 4 DIMMs.
Section 1-4 on page 12 in your MB Manual explains it best.
XMP is a profile that resides on the SPD chip on your DIMM modules. (If they have one). When XMP is initialised your RAM is OCed with Timings and voltage configured automatically. It's essentially the easy way to Overclock.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Putting sticks into DIMM sockets 2 and 4 seem to have fixed the problem...
I'm confused.... Does that mean I have somehow deficient 1 and 3 sockets? Because in a single-channel mode under XMP the ram sticks worked perfectly fine for weeks in sockets 1&2 and then 3&4.

Last edited:
You can encounter compatibility issue when mixing RAM even with exactly the same specs and P/N.
Try with one kit to test.
There may not be an XMP profile that works as 3200MHz OC is beyond normal JDEC standards.

You may have an untested kit so have you selected from the MB QVL.?
Try using DRAM calculator if your using Ryzen? and list the MB

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
You can encounter compatibility issue when mixing RAM even with exactly the same specs and P/N.
Try with one kit to test.
There may not be an XMP profile that works as 3200MHz OC is beyond normal JDEC standards.

You may have an untested kit so have you selected from the MB QVL.?
Try using DRAM calculator if your using Ryzen? and list the MB

I have never used a pair of different ram sticks together at the same time. I tried 2 different kits separately. First Corsair then G.SKILL.

I also wrote that putting these RAM into dual sockets 2 and 4 seem to have fixed the problem but I wonder, what was the issue with sockets 1&3 when I ran single modes in sockets 1/2 and 3/4 for days just fine?

Also what do you mean there may not be an XMP profile that works? Both RAM sticks indicate they're XMP and motherboard by default has support for those..? Also XMP works fine in all single-channel modes.

Your MB manual will indicate the correct sockets to use for dual channel operation and slots 2 and 4 may be it.
The reason I questioned your use of XMP is that you never listed the CPU. It's different with Intel and Ryzen.
Neither did you list the MB as asked which would help.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Your MB manual will indicate the correct sockets to use for dual channel operation and slots 2 and 4 may be it.
The reason I questioned your use of XMP is that you never listed the CPU. It's different with Intel and Ryzen.
Neither did you list the MB as asked which would help.

Sorry I still don't have the hang of all the abbreviations... Ok... Did not understand everything in your post...
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
MB: x570 Aorus Elite

As far as RAM compatibility I think Corsairs are on the list but not with the letter "R" at the end of the serial number. Instead it's "W" meaning "White". Mine are identical? besides the color? Not sure. And G.SKILL aren't on the list. I bought them THINKING they are but after the order I realized I am browsing "Aorus Elite Wifi" MB, not "Aorus Elite".

If you could check if this theory "manual will indicate the correct sockets to use for dual channel operation and slots 2 and 4 may be it." to be true or not in my case, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
I just looked at the MB and it says this:
2345.png

Is that why A1+B1 didn't work for me? Because A2+B2 = FIRST? Not sure what that means. Could you explain?

Last edited:
OK now I have your MB and CPU I can explain in more detail.

What it means is A2 and B2 should be occupied for dual channel operation if you have a kit comprising two dimms.
Dual channel operation will give you double the bandwidth.

The other slots are for single channel mode and socket A1 is closest to the CPU. This socket is for single channel operation in case you have one DIMM.

XMP (Extended Memory Profile) profiles are for Intel processors and you have a Ryzen Processor and their profiles in Bios is D.O.C.P (Direct Over Clock Profile).

Your CPU is Ryzen 3700x of the (Matice) family and here is your QVL listing. https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite_matisse_200918.pdf

It is from this listing you should select your RAM kit to ensure they have been tested and known to work.

My advice is to select a kit of RAM that your CPU and MB supports.
Choose the Manufacturer of choice and for Ryzen get a kit (2x8) 16GB at 3200MHz.

If confused then I can recommend a kit for you, Just let me know your budget and manufacturer of choice.

If you don't understand anything or an abbreviation then google is your friend.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
If confused then I can recommend a kit for you, Just let me know your budget and manufacturer of choice.

Well I have wrote before that my RAM is now working fine as I put them in sockets 2 & 4 as opposed to 1 & 3. So no need to look and buy new ones but thanks for all the help.
I just wanted to know if the culprit of them previously not working could be or is the "incorrect" DIMM socketing and there is nothing wrong mechanically with any of my DIMM sockets?

Do you reckon this would be the case for many other PC users with similar rigs? If they socketed in 1 & 3 and ran XMP in dual channel. It simply does not run like that?

Yes it's the same for others. socket 1 for single DIMM in single channel mode. 2 and 4 for dual channel or 4 DIMMs.
Section 1-4 on page 12 in your MB Manual explains it best.
XMP is a profile that resides on the SPD chip on your DIMM modules. (If they have one). When XMP is initialised your RAM is OCed with Timings and voltage configured automatically. It's essentially the easy way to Overclock.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS