Question Tried everything but cannot fix my game stuttering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2024
Please read the whole post before suggesting something already done ;)

Hi all, I'm making this post as I am simply out of ideas now trying to solve a stutter issue that I have been suffering from for multiple years in Destiny 2. At this point, you might be inclined to blame the game as I do not experience this anywhere else, but I have asked multiple friends and they do not experience this stutter - so there must be something on my end that is causing this. This was not always an issue I've had with the game, but recall it occurring at least since the Beyond Light expansion (2020). Potentially there is some unknown conflict since then that is causing this?

The stutter looks like this (only the game freezes, not the audio):

This has happened across two completely different PCs, where every single piece of hardware has changed (including peripherals and monitors). Full specs of both setups can be found here, and my current installed programs are here.

I've tried the following with no difference:

• Changed ISPs
  • Changed PCIe slot gen to match GPU
  • Clean installed Windows (10 and 11 both have the issue)
  • Completely updated PC and all internal and external components
  • Deleted game config file (cvars.xml) and reset all settings to default
  • Disabled / enabled CPU core parking
  • Disabled / enabled CPU undervolt
  • Disabled / enabled Discord overlay
  • Disabled / enabled fps limit (driver / in-game)
  • Disabled / enabled fullscreen optimisations
  • Disabled / enabled GPU undervolt
  • Disabled / enabled G-sync (including monitor VRR)
  • Disabled / enabled HAGS
  • Disabled / enabled NVIDIA overlay (tried GFE and app)
  • Disabled / enabled NVIDIA Reflex (tried on and on + boost)
  • Disabled / enabled ReBAR
  • Disabled / enabled Steam overlay
  • Disabled / enabled V-sync (driver / in-game)
  • Disabled / enabled Windows default graphics settings (variable refresh rate / optimisation for windowed games)
  • Disabled / enabled Windows DoH and tried different DNS providers (Cloudflare / Google)
  • Disabled / enabled Windows game mode
  • Disabled / enabled XMP
  • Disabled Windows memory integrity
  • Installed the game to a drive that is not C
  • Moved to different properties (same country)
  • Removing / installing Game Bar
  • Set game to high priority in task manager
  • Set game to prefer maximum performance in NVIDIA driver
  • Set Steam friends to offline
  • Set Windows performance plan to high performance
  • Tried many different NVIDIA driver versions over several years
  • Updated misc drivers (chipset, audio, ethernet, WiFi, BT)
  • Used SRE and CRU to delete extra display resolutions

Additional info:

• I am playing via ethernet exclusively (WiFi and Bluetooth are disabled)
  • I am playing with max in-game graphics settings (excluding DoF disabled) - my plan is to go one by one to see if changing any of the settings makes a difference
  • I have not run any random PC cleaning software or scripts on my PC ever (only CMD-based change is disabling hibernation)
  • LatencyMon does not have any standout latency spikes
  • No components in the PC are overheating in any way (verified through HWiNFO64)
  • PC performance is as expected in all titles including Destiny 2 - average fps and 1% lows are fine
  • Switching between windowed fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen in-game does not fix, and Destiny 2 natively supports DXGI flip model
  • This is not an Intel hybrid core issue with e-cores, as the issue was present on my old PC with an i9-9900K
  • Under "turn Windows features on or off" (legacy control panel menu) there is nothing enabled - the only optional features installed are Notepad and Wordpad
  • Whilst I have not noted explicitly here, in all cases software / drivers / BIOS were on the latest available versions at the time across both PC setups

I truly cannot think of anything else to try. Is there anyone who has also experienced an issue like this and managed to resolve it (either in Destiny 2 or another game), or are there any random potential fixes that are out there which could fix a stutter like this? I feel like I've tried everything both obvious and obscure, but feel free to suggest ideas regardless.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
At this point, you might be inclined to blame the game as I do not experience this anywhere else, but I have asked multiple friends and they do not experience this stutter
and you have seen their systems running without what you call, "stutter".
and they have seen yours with, and both of you agree that there is a noticeable difference?

you also need to include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components.

I have included the specs
in the thread.
the majority of members are not going to chase down your information when it should be displayed here.

motherboard(+ BIOS version):
CPU:
GPU:
PSU(+ overall age):
storage:
system-wide cooling:
OS(+ specific build ID):

and any images or videos you want to include need to be linked through a supported host that will also allow viewing in the thread, not just links.

in the thread.
the majority of members are not going to chase down your information when it should be displayed here.

I think you didn't read the OP's post carefully.

He did list his PC specs, but via a Pastebin link. He should have listed them here in the thread itself though.

But anyway, although the specs are still missing some details like BIOS version, OS used, GPU driver version, firmware details, he did mention all the parts and components.

Current PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 32GB 6000MT/s CL36
Storage 1: Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB
Storage 2: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Storage 3: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Storage 4: Intel 760p 512GB
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4080 Ventus 3X OC
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 850 P6