Tried everything - Windows 7 won't recognize new 6TB G-Raid Studio drive

AlphaMale Visuals

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I have done my due diligence in troubleshooting before posting this thread.

I have an ASRock X99 Extreme 4 MOBO with a ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC card installed into my PCIE 2.0 x16 slot. I am running Windows 7 ultimate. The thunderbolt software has been installed and recognizes my AIC card as thunderbolt port 1. I have the thunderbolt port on the card connected to a brand new G-Raid Studio 6TB thunderbolt 2 drive. I have the display port on the AIC card connected to the display port on my Graphics card, nvidia 760. (I have also tried this without the display port connected to anything) I have gone into my BIOS and enabled the Intel thunderbolt port. (I have tried this on Unique ID mode and Legacy Mode) When I plug in my harddrive and turn it on, nothing happens. I have tried to follow G-Raid's instructions on their website for installing and formatting the drive for Windows. (I previously followed these instructions with a different USB 3.0 4tb g-raid drive and it worked successfully, but not for this 6tb drive) When I go to disk management, it does not detect the new drive. There is no new row with an unallocated disk. I have tried to rescan the disks. Restart the computer. Modify the BIOS mode to legacy mode for thunderbolt. I have turned power on and off on my computer and harddrive. I have tried connecting the drive with 2 separate thunderbolt cables. I can't figure out why it won't recognize the disk. Does Windows 7 just not recognize 6tb drives? I have looked all over the internet for answers and haven't found a solution. Please help, I paid alot of money for this drive! How do I get this to work?

RealBeast

Titan
Windows 7 x64 has no problems with large drives, I have a 24TB array as a single partition. It will not build your array on a distinct device like a RAID card or your enclosure. And you need to have the array built before it can be used.

Have you tried running the RAID configuration utility. You can get it from HERE.

AlphaMale Visuals

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

I just tried the RAID config utility that you provided, when I ran it it said "no device found".

AlphaMale Visuals

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

I think I am one step closer. Today I updated my bios. Now my thunderbolt software recognizes the hdd. When I open the list of connected devices, under Thunderbolt Port 1 it shows "G-technology, G-RAID Studio". However, still, when I go to disk manager for windows, it still does not show a row for the this drive with unallocated space. Device manager also does not show this drive or any unknown devices.

I tried the g technology wizard for formatting a drive for windows, the list it provides doesn't show my new drive.

The software recognizes the drive but Windows does not.

Any advice?

AlphaMale Visuals

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I did some more digging on the internet over the past week. I looked up the name of, and tracked down the actual driver that the graid programs were trying to install into Windows; a version of the Marvell Magni Driver . Apparently, no matter how many times I would uninstall, re-install, repair the installation packages etc., it was not installing correctly into Windows for some reason. I manually tracked down the driver itself in device manager, disabled and re-enabled the driver, and it worked.

I now see the drive.

All this time wasted on such a simple solution smh. G-Raid needs to get their sh*t (installers) together!

AlphaMale Visuals

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

you didnt really solve this but ill give you the solution thing since you at least cared enough to respond to me. Thanks man