[SOLVED] Tried Many Fixes. Cannot isolate problem. Need help. Will not post. Looping. Not a new build.

tryagainplease

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Symptoms have changed during past month of troubleshooting. A month ago, the system would intermittently not wake up from sleep mode, and would try and reboot with multiple beeps before looping (I mean many many beeps).

I removed (one) memory stick, then switched memory sticks when the issue came back. It worked perfectly for a few days. Then issue came back.

Now I get no beeps at all. Will not post anything. HD light comes on, fans come on, tries to boot but before any post info (noting gets to the monitor), reboots.
So far here's what I have done to try and get at the source of the problem.

Removed one of 2 memory sticks. Ran few days good then issue came back.
Swapped memory stick. Ran few days, then issue came back.
Replaced CMOS Battery 2032 with new good battery
Replaced power supply, ran a few days, then issue repeated
Replaced system drive, and installed fresh Windows 10 LTSC 1809
At that point I was very hopeful because it appeared that the problem may have been a Windows software problem
2nd day after install issue repeated.... It must be a hardware issue. But what?

I don't want to replace the motherboard, (But I don't know how to properly test the motherboard) because if you can find them they are very expensive for good brand (Prefer ASUS).

System is old but has been used very little. It is my basement computer and I use it mostly for odd jobs. Scanning, zoom, and such.

This is not a new build. It has always worked perfectly until a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I don't have a clue how to rule out the motherboard.

Here are the specs and parts list of this PC:
Gigabyte GA x79 UD3 Rev 1.0
X79UD3.F9 BIOS (Wanted to try F20 BIOS but can't figure how to do it unless system will boot into BIOS)
Intel i7, 3820, 2011 socket
Stock fan - Intel BXRTS2011AC Sandy Bridge-E Air Cooler - CPU Fan, LGA 2011
SSD System Drive Crucial MX500
(2)-3tb drives, (1)-4tb drive
Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) (2x8gb)
Corsair HX1000 PSU
, and alternate Seasonic 500w
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC ver 1809 clean install. Only Firefox was added since install.

Solution
Your motherboard manual will identify a single ram slot to be used with only one stick.
Use that first.

Take all out of the case for testing if you can to minimize any short possibilities.
Start the motherboard by shorting the two PWR/GND pins on the motherboard.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true

Try to
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will...
Your motherboard manual will identify a single ram slot to be used with only one stick.
Use that first.

Take all out of the case for testing if you can to minimize any short possibilities.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true

Try to

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Do you have a discrete graphics card you can use for testing?
I suspect your HD6670.

Ultimately, consider a upgrade to current gen.
For your usage, a budget of $250 or so can buy you a motherboard, 16gb of ddr4 ram, integrated graphics, and a i3-10100 which is stronger than your 8320.

Solution

tryagainplease

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Use that first.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119009?Description=power switch&cm_re=power_switch--12-119-009--Product&quicklink=true

Try to

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Do you have a discrete graphics card you can use for testing?
I suspect your HD6670.

Ultimately, consider a upgrade to current gen.
For your usage, a budget of $250 or so can buy you a motherboard, 16gb of ddr4 ram, integrated graphics, and a i3-10100 which is stronger than your 8320.

OK, thanks for the feedback. Your suggestions look promising. I will try them. Thanks!
BTW what are you suggesting here? [They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.]. Remember my problem is also intermittent. After looping all day, I just tried it again in order to install F20 BIOS and it booted. I was able to update the BIOS and now it is rebooting successfully and running Windows.
I think it is a good idea to remove everything from the case for further tests. I do have an optional Graphics card as well. But I have no clue what to use to boot from USB if not Windows.? Thanks again

Last edited:
Memtest is a ram tester. It does not use an os to run.
You insert the usb stick with memtest on it.
When you power on with no other boot devices, the motherboard will run the app.
You download it to a usb stick and boot from that usb stick to run the test.
I find it a quick easy way to initially test a new build for basic functionality.