Question Tried overclocking, might have fried my comp's ability to boot to windows?

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
On phone and in bed with stress headache so please forgive any writing issues.

Ryzen 5 2600
RTX 2070 Super
32 Gigs 3200 mhz of Trident RAM
Asus Prime B450 Plus
Samsung Sata SSD from 2016
A formatted 1TB HDD that used to be my system backup before I needed to format to solve a booting issue (foreshadowing!)
650 watt. EVGA Supernova

Was overclocking my CPU and GPU recently and after getting an ND-15 for the cpu. CPU was at 4.2 Ghz I think while GPU had +130 core clock and +100 memory clock. Screen went black abs comp shut down while testing Doom and now comp cannot boot to Windows whatsoever. Not normally, not through automatic repair, not through reinstalling Windows or activating safe mode via Windows USB installer. All the parts in case light up and the ones the BIOS can detect are all present with the right numbers. It will always try to boot to windows with the spinning circles, keyboard and mouse will turn off and back on, then black screen before the monitor eventually turns itself off. It is worth noting I uninstalled and reinstalled large games like Doom semifrequently, which could burn out an SSD earlier, though I was checking my disk's health during tinkering and it came out just fine every time.

I have turned it off and on again

I have reseated every part including the CPU.

I have set my bios to optimized defaults.

I have tried to access Automatic Repair.

I have just let it try to boot up flat for a while.

My CPU has no onboard graphics to try instead of my GPU. Cannot be sure NVIDIA's driver or the RTX is just not omega borked when windows tries to switch to it.

I have tried to reinstall windows by booting from the install USB.

I have also tried to access safe mode this way. I have tried these Windows USB methods with only the formatted HDD connected.

I have tried to reset the CMOS via flipping out the battery and putting it back in after a few minutes.

I have tried just about everything but slapping my SSD into a known-working tower and assessing if my files are salvageable which I will try first thing in the morning. But what the hell can I do with my tower? Can it be a mobo issue even though it posts every time and detects my CPU and RAM perfectly well? Can my overclocking adventure (I was stable at 4.2 Ghz beforehand or so I thought) have shorted a pin(s) or mobo part related to booting? Can my SSD be so borked it also borked the HDD, stopping it from being able to install a fresh Windows?

If this situation sounds at all familiar to you guys and you have a suggestion, I will gladly hear you out. Right now im thinking of replacing my CPU + mobo, and getting a new 1tb SSD to install windows on while transplanting the other parts of the system. Then seeing if I can use a recovery program for personal files if possible. It feels like something fundamental broke or shorted during the overclock and I won't manage to boot anything on that setup as it is. Any ideas on your guys's end?

On phone and in bed with stress headache so please forgive any writing issues.

Ryzen 5 2600
RTX 2070 Super
32 Gigs 3200 mhz of Trident RAM
Asus Prime B450 Plus
Samsung Sata SSD from 2016
A formatted 1TB HDD that used to be my system backup before I needed to format to solve a booting issue (foreshadowing!)
650 watt. EVGA Supernova

Was overclocking my CPU and GPU recently and after getting an ND-15 for the cpu. CPU was at 4.2 Ghz I think while GPU had +130 core clock and +100 memory clock. Screen went black abs comp shut down while testing Doom and now comp cannot boot to Windows whatsoever. Not normally, not through automatic repair, not through reinstalling Windows or activating safe mode via Windows USB installer. All the parts in case light up and the ones the BIOS can detect are all present with the right numbers. It will always try to boot to windows with the spinning circles, keyboard and mouse will turn off and back on, then black screen before the monitor eventually turns itself off. It is worth noting I uninstalled and reinstalled large games like Doom semifrequently, which could burn out an SSD earlier, though I was checking my disk's health during tinkering and it came out just fine every time.

I have turned it off and on again

I have reseated every part including the CPU.

I have set my bios to optimized defaults.

I have tried to access Automatic Repair.

I have just let it try to boot up flat for a while.

My CPU has no onboard graphics to try instead of my GPU. Cannot be sure NVIDIA's driver or the RTX is just not omega borked when windows tries to switch to it.

I have tried to reinstall windows by booting from the install USB.

I have also tried to access safe mode this way. I have tried these Windows USB methods with only the formatted HDD connected.

I have tried to reset the CMOS via flipping out the battery and putting it back in after a few minutes.

I have tried just about everything but slapping my SSD into a known-working tower and assessing if my files are salvageable which I will try first thing in the morning. But what the hell can I do with my tower? Can it be a mobo issue even though it posts every time and detects my CPU and RAM perfectly well? Can my overclocking adventure (I was stable at 4.2 Ghz beforehand or so I thought) have shorted a pin(s) or mobo part related to booting? Can my SSD be so borked it also borked the HDD, stopping it from being able to install a fresh Windows?

If this situation sounds at all familiar to you guys and you have a suggestion, I will gladly hear you out. Right now im thinking of replacing my CPU + mobo, and getting a new 1tb SSD to install windows on while transplanting the other parts of the system. Then seeing if I can use a recovery program for personal files if possible. It feels like something fundamental broke or shorted during the overclock and I won't manage to boot anything on that setup as it is. Any ideas on your guys's end?
It's quite possible your Windows got corrupted, can you make a live Linux USB ?

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Ubuntu on the Live Linux USB is in a boot loop it keeps restarting after Ubuntu, lines of code, Ubuntu.

Edit: I hit a key, chose English and Persistent Mode, and it's done the thing Windows does with the keyboard and mouse turning off before the monitor does.

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Just thought about one thing, can you try to change between UEFI and Legacy (CSM) mode in BIOS ?
I have a "Launch CSM" option which was already enabled. It has 4 suboptions for "Boot Device Control," Boot from Network Devices, Boot from Storage Devices, and Boot from PCIe Expansion Devices.

Edit: I changed the Storage Device's one to "UEFI driver priority"or something and it booted much faster and put me at a command line at the bottom of a screen of code.

I have a "Launch CSM" option which was already enabled. It has 4 suboptions for "Boot Device Control," Boot from Network Devices, Boot from Storage Devices, and Boot from PCIe Expansion Devices.

Edit: I changed the Storage Device's one to "UEFI driver priority"or something and it booted much faster and put me at a command line at the bottom of a screen of code.
Try with your windows disk now, It should read something like this in BIOS and BOOT order "UEFI on disk (its make or model)"

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Try with your windows disk now, It should read something like this in BIOS and BOOT order "UEFI on disk (its make or model)"
If you mean my boot drive it didn't get any option like that. The windows install USB did but the black screen problem is still there.

Edit: Tried turning off Launch CSM entirely. Boot loop with windows USB key.

Last edited:

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Watch the language
Getting really thin right now, did you use Microsoft Media Creation too to make boot USB ?
I have not but I MIGHT not need to.

Plugging the SSD into the other tower got me out if there boot loop and into the "Repair windows while keeping files" option. Fingers crossed it'll boot on my tower after the fix.

Edit: I am definitely backing my Removed up this time and buying a new SSD no matter what though. Maybe I'll try NVME now that prices are somewhat reasonable. Still, gotta see if this works at all.

Last edited by a moderator: