[SOLVED] Tried to add Ram, didnt work, now with just the original ram my pc is running slow

Jan 17, 2019
So I bought a cyberpower prebuilt november 2017, and it had 8GB of ADATA XPG 2400 cl 16-16-16 ram.
The motherboard is a MSI B350M Bazooka and cpu is r5 1400 with a rx580 4gb gpu

I wanted to upgrade my ram so I bought the exact same 8 gig stick and put it in the 4th Dimm slot (the original stick was in 2, msi recommends to use 2-4) and I got it in, and my pc recognized that I had 16 gigs installed, but would only use the original 8. I tried switching around using the ram in different Dimm slots, but it didnt fix it.

So I removed the new stick of RAM, and put the older working stick in the slot it had originally been in. Should all be good right? Nope. My pc is noticeably slower, especially in gaming. I am getting 1/2 or 1/3 of the framerates that I used to get, and I can't figure out why. I thought maybe I didnt put the ram back correctly, but after trying that multiple times I still cant get it to work.

Please suggest some solutions... Or should I just build a new pc?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Ryzen is particularly sensitive about ram.
What to do??
My first suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit, then install the second stick.
Stress test the ram with memtest86. You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Next...
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Ryzen is particularly sensitive about ram.
What to do??
My first suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit, then install the second stick.
Stress test the ram with memtest86. You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Next option is to buy an explicitly supported 2 x 8gb kit.
A kit that shows up in the motherboard ram QVL list or on a ram vendors list of supported kits for your motherboard.

Solution
Jan 17, 2019

Hey,
At this point im just going to return the new ram, but my question is, did I potentially mess up my old ram or my mobo by taking it in and out a few times?

TRENDING THREADS