Question Tried to change CPU now only boots in BIOS and can't find any bootable devices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say that I am rather new to pc building and asking for help on forums so I don't have much experience with either. But I am hoping I have come to the right place for help.

Like the title says I have tried to upgrade my cpu from a "amd Ryzen 5 2400G" to a "amd Ryzen 7 5800X" which I think went smoothly. But when I started the computer to see if I had succeeded I was met with BIOS. BIOS could see the new CPU but when I went to boot order there was nothing there. No bootable devices at all. I am 100% sure that my ssd and hdd are connected correctly since it worked fine before. I did some light research online before buying the cpu if my motherboard ("Asus rog strix B450-F Gaming") was compatible which to me seemed to be the case as long as I updated BIOS which I have done. I also updated the drivers to my ssd which windows is located on, which also worked fine.

So I am at a loss here not knowing what to do. If the answer is just as simple as my CPU is not compatible or if there is something else that I might have missed. Something which I thought was weird when I first started the computer after the CPU change was that my fans to the GPU started spinning faster than they usually do and then the computer started restarting a few times before starting BIOS.

With that I hope that I have posted this in the right category and I thank you for your time reading this.

Ok. Go to BIOS. Press F7 to enter Advanced mode (assuming BIOS is in EZ mode). Click on "Advanced Menu", then on "SATA Configuration". You want "SATA Port enable" to be set to enable, and "SATA Mode" to be set to AHCI. If set otherwise, change them accordingly. Btw, which SATA port the drive is connected to?

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Ok. Go to BIOS. Press F7 to enter Advanced mode (assuming BIOS is in EZ mode). Click on "Advanced Menu", then on "SATA Configuration". You want "SATA Port enable" to be set to enable, and "SATA Mode" to be set to AHCI. If set otherwise, change them accordingly. Btw, which SATA port the drive is connected to?

In BIOS with the old CPU it says under SATA Information that it is connected to SATA6G_6 which I assume is port 6 or something.

And with the new CPU in BIOS, all the settings which you mentioned are already set as you say they should be set as.

I see however that all SATA6G_ are all empty but something called "Hot Plug" is disabled on all of them. Might not be somthing to concern myslef with but thought I should maybe mention it.

In BIOS with the old CPU it says under SATA Information that it is connected to SATA6G_6 which I assume is port 6 or something.

And with the new CPU in BIOS, all the settings which you mentioned are already set as you say they should be set as.

I see however that all SATA6G_ are all empty but something called "Hot Plug" is disabled on all of them. Might not be somthing to concern myslef with but thought I should maybe mention it.
Hot Plug shouldn't matter.
Port 6 could mean a problem IF you had also M.2 drive installed. But as I understand you don't have any M.2?
So this is kind of dead end. All BIOS settings that could make drive disappear have been checked. Have to say I have no idea what's going on. The only thing that got changed was CPU, right? I don't see a way how bad CPU could cause drive disappearance (at least as far as non M.2 drive is concerned). Hmph.

Reactions: kurdtnz

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Hot Plug shouldn't matter.
Port 6 could mean a problem IF you had also M.2 drive installed. But as I understand you don't have any M.2?
So this is kind of dead end. All BIOS settings that could make drive disappear have been checked. Have to say I have no idea what's going on. The only thing that got changed was CPU, right? I don't see a way how bad CPU could cause drive disappearance (at least as far as non M.2 drive is concerned). Hmph.

Yeah, I don' have any other storage devices other than the SSD and a HDD but they both are connected via SATA. It says on ASUS official website that I do have "dual NVMe M.2 " but I don't have anything to connect it to either way.

My unprofessional opinion is a compatibility problem between the CPU and the motherboard. But Still Thank you for trying to help me with my problem. I really appreciate it.

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
So you have HDD too. You didn't mention that before. What model HDD?
Can you show a photo with inside view of your system?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Didn't think the HDD was that important since I got windows on the SSD. Got my pc prebuilt so i'm not 100% sure what's it called but Samsung Magician says it's a "WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0". It's definitly western digital though.

Here is my pc View: https://imgur.com/a/YSGd1aB
Cable management is not exactly beautiful. But I hope the pic is good enough.

Reflash ur bios again, after that take out the cmos battery, keep it disconnected for more than a few minutes; then reconnect, turn ur pc on, it shud take u directly into bios, then check secure boot on, because if u had secure boot on or tpm enabled in ur previous bios configuration, u may not be able to boot with a new cpu, Also before taking out ur old cpu, try secure erasing ur SSD... Hope this solves ur problem, if it doesnt , i dont know...
Secure Erase is a bios feature, before doing that make sure ur ssd is supported;

Here is my pc
Can't see, how drives are connected or, if they are connected at all.

Your ram modules are in wrong slots. They operate in single channel mode currently. Put them in slots A2, B2.

Your cpu cooler is r5 2400G stock cooler. It is too weak for r7 5800X. 5800X will overheat. You need a better cpu cooler.

Also your graphics card is sagging considerably. Add support for your graphics card.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Can't see, how drives are connected or, if they are connected at all.

Your ram modules are in wrong slots. They operate in single channel mode currently. Put them in slots A2, B2.

Your cpu cooler is r5 2400G stock cooler. It is too weak for r7 5800X. 5800X will overheat. You need a better cpu cooler.

Also your graphics card is sagging considerably. Add support for your graphics card.

I should have thought about showing you that too. sorry. Hope this is a bit better. View: https://imgur.com/a/nG8SRfj

As for the ram I had no idea so thank you for that as well. I have another cpu cooler waiting to be put on I just wanted to make sure that the cpu worked first before I put it on. The graphics card I am aware that it's sagging since I accidentally broke the lock thing. But I know that it still works. If you got any tips on how to straighten it I would be happy if you got an answer for that too.

Last edited:
If you got any tips on how to straighten it I would be happy if you got an answer for that too.
Google for "gpu support bracket"

3bb09852-6e36-4237-9d44-7f13d2f596a7.98638a101fcf9db19a8ad1c0b7a969bd.jpeg

Reactions: FluidPurpose