Question Tried to change CPU now only boots in BIOS and can't find any bootable devices

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say that I am rather new to pc building and asking for help on forums so I don't have much experience with either. But I am hoping I have come to the right place for help.

Like the title says I have tried to upgrade my cpu from a "amd Ryzen 5 2400G" to a "amd Ryzen 7 5800X" which I think went smoothly. But when I started the computer to see if I had succeeded I was met with BIOS. BIOS could see the new CPU but when I went to boot order there was nothing there. No bootable devices at all. I am 100% sure that my ssd and hdd are connected correctly since it worked fine before. I did some light research online before buying the cpu if my motherboard ("Asus rog strix B450-F Gaming") was compatible which to me seemed to be the case as long as I updated BIOS which I have done. I also updated the drivers to my ssd which windows is located on, which also worked fine.

So I am at a loss here not knowing what to do. If the answer is just as simple as my CPU is not compatible or if there is something else that I might have missed. Something which I thought was weird when I first started the computer after the CPU change was that my fans to the GPU started spinning faster than they usually do and then the computer started restarting a few times before starting BIOS.

With that I hope that I have posted this in the right category and I thank you for your time reading this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try swapping the boot method, it may have reset while you swapped CPU
If you updated BIOS it may have happened at that point. as it resets the bios settings then.

It might have enabled CSM or disabled it, which ever was the way it was before.

Reactions: kurdtnz

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Try swapping the boot method, it may have reset while you swapped CPU
If you updated BIOS it may have happened at that point. as it resets the bios settings then.

It might have enabled CSM or disabled it, which ever was the way it was before.

I've now tried to change all that but it still doesen't show my storage devices neither does it boot any other way.

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Could check to see none of the pins on CPU are bent

could swap old CPU in and see if storage appears. would tell you if its something odd with cpu

I put in the old one before and then it started as normaly, no issues at all.

EDIT: there doesn't seem to be any bends.

Last edited:

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
Can you list your full system specs including GPU and PSU please.

Motherboard: Asus rog strix B450-F Gaming
new CPU: amd Ryzen 7 5800X
old CPU: amd Ryzen 5 2400G
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB (with windows)
GPU: Asus Nvidia GeForce rtx 2080 super dual EVO V2
PSU: Corsair RM1000i, 1000w (might be a bit overkill)
RAM: 2x 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried a different power cable?

FluidPurpose

Prominent
Jul 11, 2021
tried a different power cable?

I know all cables work since the computer starts as normal with the old CPU. So I'm pretty sure theres no problem with cables.