[SOLVED] Tried to clone System Reserved Partition, deleted original, all boot repairing fails (tried EVERYTHING)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 5, 2022
Because I've been booting my PC the old-school way for the past 3 years, I decided to convert my system drives to the GPT-format and prepare everything for Windows 11. Because of this, a number of other processes required me to change a few things first, including the fact that I needed to have the System Reserved Partition for booting on the Windows drive (C: ) - this was not the case it was on another SSD drive (E: ). I did the following:
  • I used AOMEI's software to clone the partition from E: to C:
  • I tested this by booting from C: in the BIOS. This worked, so I deleted the partition on E:
  • My PC failed to boot the next time and ever since I've been stuck with a dead ghost.
I made an official Windows backup image, but stored it on an external drive where I eventually installed the Windows Media Creation tool later, so it got lost in the formatting process (which I didn't know about was a thing, otherwise I would have had it stored elsewhere). I backed-up all my Windows files seperatly with Macrium in an .emback file and verified it manually to make sure I still had my C: drive files if things went south even more.

With this in place, I tried ALL of the following:
  1. WMC: Tried Windows Repair - doesn't work
  2. WMC: Tried CMD for a number of commands to rebuild the boot files with bootrec, returned errors on bootrec /RebuildBCD
  3. WMC: Tried setting to a recovery point, but this spits out an error and will simply not work
  4. AOMEI's Assistant Partition cannot be opened on my working laptop so couldn't use it
  5. Macrium Reflect: Used 'Fix Windows Boot Problems' and returns 1 error Updating Partition Boot Sector (see image: View: https://imgur.com/ILQLDQS )
  6. EaseUS: RebuildMBR didn't work or fixed any problems whatsoever
  7. EasyBCD: Didn't help (I unfortunately don't even remember what I tried here, but it evidently didn't work)
  8. EmergencyBootKit: Used their precise guides to fix all boot problems, still doesn't boot.
So yea, after ALL this I don't know what to do. Could someone revive my PC? I think, from Macrium's perspective, that it looks like all my drives are intact, including the C: Windows drive, but simpy that SOMETHING is preventing the boot partitions from being properly restored or functioning as supposed to. I'm also confused with the UEFI and Legacy BIOS stuff, but I've come to understand one cannot work with the other (GPT - MBR) and I believe my Windows drive AND the other SSD were both MBR, meaning my MOBO boots in Legacy BIOS still even though it supports both, as can be evidenced by the BIOS menu.

03KzUOE.jpg
FwvlRyZ.jpg

Uuix3Sk.jpg

What information do you guys need, what is left for my PC? A complete Windows reset would be a nightmare, so I hope this is not going to be required. I'm ready to follow along any instructions, and can give the required information from CMD commands for further information on partition/volumes/details (pretty much all the kind of terms I've come across in the past two days).

Solution
Done! Here's the image:
Execute following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 250GB disk)​
select partition 2
(select 550MB partition)​
active
exit
bcdboot e:\windows /s c:
bootsect /nt60 c: /force

There should be no errors. If there are errors, then show screenshot.

After this - go into BIOS and set 250GB drive as first in boot priority settings.
Also - disable fast boot. It appears to be enabled in your previous screenshots.
NOTE: I just realised my E: drive has now gotten the D: letter and the E: portion is where the old System Reserved Partition used to be (see first row at 'Schijf 0')... This is most likely problematic because two or three programs reference to this drive...
You can delete 549MB partition on Disk 0. It has no use.
Also you should make 465GB partition on Disk 0 - not active.
Other than that - all looks good.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 500GB disk)​
list partition
select partition 2
(select 465GB partition)​
inactive
select partition 1
(select 549MB partition, be careful, do not delete the wrong partition)​
delete partition