Triple Monitor Gaming Set Up... what to choose?

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi EVERYONE! I am about to buy 3 new identical monitors for a triple landscape stand. The stand supports up to three - 28" displays.

I am looking for three 23" to 27" monitors with the best compatible combination of features. Price can be around 300-400ea, approx.

They will be connected to the following system:

Case: SuperFlower sf201t3c Full Aluminum,
MB: ASrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional,
PSU: OCZ-gamexstream-850w-power-supply,
CPU: Intel i7-2600k,
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 liquid cooler
Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
HDD: WD Velociraptor 150g X (2)
SSD: Vertex 3 SATA III VTX3-25SAT3-120G SSD,
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Graphic Card - 900 MHz Core - 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0 x16 - 5500 MHz Memory Clock - 4096 x 3112 - CrossFireX - Fan Cooler - DirectX 11.0, DirectCompute 11, OpenGL 4.2, OpenCL 1.2 - HDMI - DisplayPort - DVI,
Optical Drive: Plextor B940SA Blu-ray Burner,
Key Board: Logitech G19 Keyboard,
Mouse: Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse,
Fan Controller: Akasa,Multi-mode LCD display 4 fan-speed/temp controller.

Do I need them to be 3D or 3D capable?
IPS or TN panel?
IPS - (e), (S), (H) or (P) version?
60Hz or 120Hz Refresh rate?
1920X1080 or 1920X1200 rez?
LED-Backlight or LCD - LED - Edgelight?
16:9 or 16:10?

WHICH BRAND and MODEL has the BEST FEATURE SET for my application? :eek:

And Lastly, For the 3 connections Display Port, HDMI, DVI, VGA?

So many differences and so many choices....I just can't decide on what will work best together....HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks very much in advance to all.

naf

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I recommend the HP ZR2440w:
- 1920x1200 16:10. This is a more attractive ratio than 16:9, and why not take more pixels? But that's a matter of opinion, I suppose.
- eIPS panel — the budget IPS. Will give great viewing angles and good color accuracy without breaking the bank.
- Better black depth than it's nearest competitors
- HDMI, DVI and Display Port interfaces with easy source switching
- USB Hub
- Amazing quickrelease VESA mount plate - this will come in extremely handy with that mount you have (I have one on an easymountlcd triple monitor stand). You can just pop the display off when adjusting the mount/fiddling with connections. I think HP is the only company to offer this.
- All in all, it's a ton of monitor for $350

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/monitors/Zr2440w-24inch-LED-Backlit-Ips-Monitor/m909678088.html/search=zr2440w

Alternatively, the Dell U2412m comes with basically the same panel and resolution, minus some of the features. It's cheaper - around $290-$300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Or, get on the Catleap bandwagon - just a featureless panel with a wretched stand, but it's 27" 2560x1440 IPS for the same price as the aforementioned monitors. You'll have to jerry-rig the VESA mount a bit, apparently:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi naf, Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I found it very useful and informative.
The ZR2440w looks like a good fit, and speaking of fit, I too have that exact triple monitor stand!
The Easymountlcd Triple! Do you have the desk mount or the free standing model?
I chose the free standing model because it is movable and I figured it would be better if I needed to adjust the viewing distance and for doing the multiple connections. Great Quality stand especially for the price, $119.99.

BTW, How much does just the display weigh, is the reported 10.2lbs correct? without the stand. How did they work for you on your triple stand?...any problems?

The only thing it doesn't have is the 3D ready thing and the 120Hz refresh rate. Do you think any of that stuff is important to have?

I did read a review about it being So Much Better than the Dell and more features like "DISPLAYPORTS" that I really wanted.

And as far as the catleap displays go, yes it's a 27" 2560x1440 IPS but I am loath to go that way because of the potential warranty and service issues, I don't want to wait for shipping back and fourth from Korea if anything goes wrong!

So, Once again thanks for your help!

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks, It's an older case but is good quality and 100% aluminum. It has quite a lot of good features on it, the only thing I want to change is to update the front panel wiring to something that is fits directly with my MB: ASrock Fatality z77 Pro.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again.

naf

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Ha! Very cool. And no problem. Yeah, it's a great stand for the money. I only have two monitors now (and only one HP), but have plans to expand so figured I'd go for the triple. I got the free standing one as well for the same reasons - also, in case the larger part of the base ever takes up too much room, it came with parts to bolt just the main vertical support to the desk and skip the stand. Anyway, the mount supports the HP without a problem at all - it tilts, pivots, and swivels really smoothly. I also have a 22" NEC P221w on the stand — it's heavier than the HP by a bit (12.6lbs), and the mount sometimes has some trouble with its weight, like when I want it to be in portrait it sags a bit. But at the supposed 10.2lbs (don't know the precise weight), the HP works without a hitch.

Depending on how angled you want the side monitors, you might run in to an issue with the depth of the middle mount. It's a little shorter than the side mounts, but the left side of the HP monitor (where the usb hub is) is too thick to layer the bezels (it's 1-5/8" thick), so you might want the center mount to be even shorter. I hope that makes sense. I've heard that easymountlcd or tykesupply have a low profile center mount, but I haven't tried it. Basically, if you plan to have the bezels overlap without doing any de-bezeling, the ZR2440w might not be right for you. Maybe I'll snap a photo or two to clarify my point here.

3D and 120Hz seem to go hand in hand, and neither are important to me. It's up to you though — if 3D gaming sounds good to you and you're confident it will catch on for more than a few titles, you might not want to invest $1000 in non-3D monitors. It's a gamble either way though — you could just as easily find yourself sitting in front of 3 3D monitors with no 3D games to play and tired of wearing glasses. Standard 60Hz 2D IPS is tried and true tech that wont go anywhere anytime soon, so I consider it a perfectly safe bet. I'm only a moderate gamer though — I imaging the immersion 3D offers is amazing, assuming it's available.

The http://tftcentral.co.uk/ review of the ZR2440w seemed to favor it over the Dell U2412m, for what I considered relevant, and I was glad to pay an extra $50 for the better features anyway, such as removable quick release and HDMI (for my raspberry pi). But the Dell is more common/popular (due to the price, no doubt), so with it you would find more support when it comes to debezeling and such, in case that matters to you.

I hope that helps - best of luck, and I'd love to see what it looks like in the end!

naf

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I like the color, boxiness, and that it's all aluminum.

Do you mean the hub at the front of the case doesn't have regular USB/Audio header pins to attach to the motherboard? If so, you could look around modding sites like http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index for cables or adapters. Or, if you know how to solder, just buy the regular USB motherboard cable and swap the connector out with the case's cable.

Or if it just doesn't have the connections you want, performance-pcs and other similar places will have all sorts of crazy things to fit in unused 5.25" or 3.5" bays on the front, they just won't match the color.

Regardless, if you ever want to get rid of it just PM me.

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi naf, My stand, and (probably yours too), has the curved arm on it and supports up to three 28" monitors. So, I figured that 3 x 24" displays would give me enough wiggle room to get them all adjusted right so that from my chair I will only see the 4 bezels all in line. My video card http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/01/xfx_radeon_hd_7950_black_edition_video_card_review/1
has a feature that removes any bezel overlap across the landscape view of the three monitors. So I'm hoping I can get everything to look just right when I set it all up. Also, this card will do 3D and support up to 6 displays.

I also (for now anyway) only have my old monitors none of which fit correctly with my stand, a Syncmaster 22" an Asus 22" and an old 19"Acer, that don't even all line up together despite the 100x100 VESA mounts on them!
Some pic's of yours would be great if you could!

I know that many Games won't run in 3D but That's fine I'll just play those in 2D. But.....The games that do support 3D I'm sure would look awesome! You are right about the glasses though, Not something I really want to have to do....but If it really works well, then I'll gladly do it!
Right now, the one thing holding me back is the price of these monitors. I know from past experience that this is the best time....(before the end of October) to get some really great deals on electronics! Prices will begin to rise considerably soon, coming into the Christmas season.

Also, Yes I do mean the hub, the wiring for the Front Panel has extra: USB PORTS, AUDIO, & FIREWIRE outlets. The connectors are the older style (regular USB Plugs) that I can plug into the back of my MB that I want to plug into the MB headers instead.
I went to the site you mentioned and did see lots of single wires but could not find a full front panel set...if it even exists, not sure?

I can solder ok, I had to make some 4pin fan extension cables for it that all work fine. But I would just rather buy a factory set already assembled if I can.

If you know of anything Please let me know.

Once again, Thank you so much for all your help so far.

naf

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Here's how the HP works with the stand—

The steel plate with the three tabs comes out of the HP stand, leaving the stand in 2 parts with some stray screws. The plate attaches to the VESA mount, so the quick-release feature on the monitor is maintained.:

20121017monitors01.jpg

20121017monitors02.jpg

Attached to the monitor - I won't put it on the mount this way though:

20121017monitors03.jpg

20121017monitors04.jpg

20121017monitors05.jpg

Here's that USB hub bulge I was talking about, but if you don't plan to overlap the bezels it doesn't matter:

20121017monitors06.jpg

You can see from the front or back that there's plenty more room on the mounting bar. Next to the ZR2440w is a NEC P221w (21.6"). 3 24s will work no problem:

20121017monitors07.jpg

Here is a comparison of the depth of the center mount and the side mounts:

20121017monitors08.jpg

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi naf, Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much for the pics, they are great! I now see what you mean with the quick release plate. How dose it release? It looks like you just lift it up to free the bottom two tabs, and pull the bottom of the display out toward you.

I have been doing some more research on the whole 3D thing, and there are quite a few more technical aspects to consider than I had thought.
Active SG3D, Passive3D, Nvidia 3Dvision 1 & 2, ATI HD3D, and so on and so fourth...

Then to make things worse there are only certain displays that work with each format.

So now I am even more confused by what to get when it comes to buying a display?

I suppose I will just have to keep researching and decide weather to do the 3D thing or not.
I wanted to take advantage of my video card's capabilities but there are some draw backs with all the 3D versions currently available.

If you are interested here are some of the articles I was reading.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/3d_technologies.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-3d-vision-hd3d-steroscopic,3050.html

http://techreport.com/review/23217/triple-screen-gaming-on-today-graphics-cards

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php

I also took a few pic's of what I mentioned before about updating the front hub wiring.

20121017goldpc002001.jpg

20121017goldpc002002.jpg

20121017goldpc002003.jpg

20121017goldpc002006.jpg

20121017goldpc002006.jpg

20121017goldpc002004.jpg

20121017goldpc002005.jpg

20121017goldpc002011.jpg

20121017goldpc002009.jpg

As you can see, the front hub has the old style actual cables that run from there all the way along the bottom of the case to the back.
I wanted to remove all of these and replace them with a modern set that plugs directly into my motherboard.
I am also thinking about replacing the actual Power/reset/on/off/& LED front plate wiring as well.

let me know what you think?