Triple monitor setup, one with 144/240Hz

Sep 18, 2018
Dear friends.

I am building a new PC and I am choosing also adequate monitor for it.
So far I already have two ASUS VS247HR fullHD 60Hz monitors. I would like to buy a third monitor with higher refresh rate (144 / 240Hz) with also fullHD resolution - for better gaming experience.

My question is - will be GPU able to display a game on one monitor with refrest rate 144 / 240Hz in 144 / 240Hz and other work on other two monitors at 60Hz simultaneously? Or will it stuck for all three 1920x1080 monitors on 60Hz during gaming even if I will play only on one monitor with 144 / 240Hz?
I hope that it is understandable. I can give further explanation of course :)

I want only one monitor for gaming (the one with higher refresh rate) and other two for benchmarks, monitoring frequencies, temperatures and browsering, youtube, during gaming. And I also need multiple monitor setup due to CAD work. But for games I would like to have 144 / 240Hz monitor.

I am looking for GPU AMD Vega 56 / 64 and ofc freesync monitor.
So far I like Dell Alienware AW2518HF.

I read many articles but I did not find answer for this. But maybe I overlooked it.

Please, do not open a discussion about the rest of PC, Nvidia vs AMD or Intel vs AMD.
I am interested only in what I am asking :)

Thank you mates and have a nice day.

Solution
Again, you should be able to run them separately just fine. If you want a 60Hz secondary with a 144Hz primary that shouldn't be a problem. It's when you run them as a single screen with different settings that it gets odd. According to what I posted above that might not be possible with Nvidia hardware.

I don't suggest running two monitors as a single screen either btw. If you only have two, keep them as independent screens. That way the crosshair isn't in the bezels.

4745454b

Titan
You can run them independently just fine of course. I'm not sure running them together will work. My eyefinity setup uses all 60hz monitors for this reason. I haven't looked into the state of SLS for Nvidia or AMD since I built my system eons ago. To get help setting it up I used this site.

http://www.wsgf.org/

A quick search lead to this thread.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27738&p=155005

Nvidia was a bit behind, and it seems they might still have issues. My suggestion is to just stick with 60Hz. It's cheaper and less likely to lead to problems.

Sep 18, 2018
Thank you guys for your reactions.

I looked in the attached thread - I think that the answer for my question is depending on AMD/Nvidia, specific GPU family, specific drivers, cables, used outputs etc...

I would not like to stay with 60Hz. I would more prefer two monitors, one with 60Hz and second with 144/240Hz instead of 3x60Hz :)

I asked also in AMD community thread so I will see if someone already has similar monitor setup or experience...

4745454b

Titan
Again, you should be able to run them separately just fine. If you want a 60Hz secondary with a 144Hz primary that shouldn't be a problem. It's when you run them as a single screen with different settings that it gets odd. According to what I posted above that might not be possible with Nvidia hardware.

I don't suggest running two monitors as a single screen either btw. If you only have two, keep them as independent screens. That way the crosshair isn't in the bezels.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS