Triple Monitor Setup

demonpossesser

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018
I've recently bought a third monitor for my computer, but I'm having a bit of trouble with getting a consistent startup.

The monitors that I'm using are the Acer KG221Q, KG251Q, and HA230. The KG221Q and HA230 refresh rate of 75Hz while the KG251Q has 240Hz. Whenever I start my computer and get to the log in screen, I noticed that the image would freeze every few seconds until I changed the refresh rate on the 251Q from 59Hz to 240.

I managed to solve that issue, but now whenever I either restart or shutdown my computer all three monitors just black screen after Windows loads and I constantly have to unplug the cables and restart my computer. I'm using a POWERCOLOR Red Devil Radeon RX 580 8GB card that has 1 HDMI port, 3 DisplayPorts, and 1 DVI port.

Is this still an issue with the refresh rate?

System specs:
Ryzen 5 2600X
ASUS Crosshair VI HERO (WIFI AC)
HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB)
PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 580 8GB
240GB SanDisk SSD PLUS
2TB Toshiba HDD
1TB Seagate HDD

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Do you have the latest AMD Graphics driver? Where are you setting the refresh rate? It should't be an issue but it sounds to me like it's driver related or that windows is setting the refresh rate for you instead of the AMD driver.

demonpossesser

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018

Yes, I have the lastest AMD graphics driver and I'm setting the refresh rate in the Windows Display setting. I don't see an option to set it in the AMD Radeon Settings app.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

In the AMD driver settings window, go to screen and where you see all the monitors and their resolutions scroll down to find something like "custom resolution" I think. Not really sure because I'm not at home but you can set all your monitor's specs manually from there, including the refresh rate.

demonpossesser

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018

I tried it, but nothing changed.

demonpossesser

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018
UPDATE: Okay, so I fixed the FreeSync issue (I think) by literally doing the same thing of unplugging my HDMI and DP cables and plugging them back in. Somehow, my 251Q decided to enable FreeSync, but then my 221Q wasn't enabling FreeSync. I fixed that switching out one of my DP to HDMI adapters.

Now, I'm afraid of turning my computer off or restart because when I did it before I would just get black screens.

demonpossesser

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018

So, I went ahead and used the proprietary cables and restarted my computer, but I still got the black screen when the system came back on. I'm not using all monitors as one big screen.