[SOLVED] Triple Monitor vs Super Ultra Wide

Brodie9666

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Hello,

I currently have a GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU and have 3x 24 Inch Monitors connected to it and i've been more than happy with its performance to date, however the monitors are getting old and starting to have issues, so i was looking at replacing them.

The monitors i have are old TfT flat screen monitors.
I have always dreamed of having 3 curved monitors side by side, hopefully with minimal bezel intrusion.

My first instinct (after running it by the wife!) was to buy 3x Samsung G7 Odyssey Curved monitors and wall mounting them to form one nice big large curved display across the 3 screens.

However i'm worried that my aging GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU wouldnt be able to cope with that. so i'm now thinking of getting one Super Ultra Wide 49 inch Samsung Odyssey monitor and buying a Geforce RTX 2070 Super GPU.
I have been give "permission" for the budget and both options cost around the same.

My concern is going from 3 monitors to 1 Super Ultra Wide monitor will mean a loss of function.

As it stands i play a game full screen on the centre monitor, have a Netflix or Youtube full screen on the right monitor and a browser or doc on full screen on the left monitor.

If i go for one Super Ultra Wide 49" screen will i be still able to do this easily?
I know you can get apps like Display Fusion or Ultra-Mon, which can force this but will it be more hassle than just dragging netlix or Youtube etc to one monitor and click fullscreen?

Has anyone here been where i am and had the same concerns etc that can offer advice?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
The G9 = two 27" 16:9 1440p monitors side by side without bezels. So three G7s is more desktop area (and total pixel area).

Tough call. From a productivity standpoint, I personally prefer separate monitors because of windows' drag and drop windowing (just too lazy to use Win + directional arrows).

If you've got the horsepower to run it, a 32:9 monitor could be cool for some game types (providing they properly scale to widescreen by adding width and not subtracting height.... and don't just letterbox).

I've seen 32:9 49" monitors, but I've never used one long enough to develop a good opinion on one. And the G9 is MEGA curved.
21:9 is more comfortable of a step into widescreen for me (and I have experience with 21:9, not all good...

Brodie9666

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Hello,

I currently have a GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU and have 3x 24 Inch Monitors connected to it and i've been more than happy with its performance to date, however the monitors are getting old and starting to have issues, so i was looking at replacing them.

The monitors i have are old TfT flat screen monitors.
I have always dreamed of having 3 curved monitors side by side, hopefully with minimal bezel intrusion.

My first instinct (after running it by the wife!) was to buy 3x Samsung G7 Odyssey Curved monitors and wall mounting them to form one nice big large curved display across the 3 screens.

However i'm worried that my aging GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU wouldnt be able to cope with that. so i'm now thinking of getting one Super Ultra Wide 49 inch Samsung Odyssey monitor and buying a Geforce RTX 2070 Super GPU.
I have been give "permission" for the budget and both options cost around the same.

My concern is going from 3 monitors to 1 Super Ultra Wide monitor will mean a loss of function.

As it stands i play a game full screen on the centre monitor, have a Netflix or Youtube full screen on the right monitor and a browser or doc on full screen on the left monitor.

If i go for one Super Ultra Wide 49" screen will i be still able to do this easily?
I know you can get apps like Display Fusion or Ultra-Mon, which can force this but will it be more hassle than just dragging netlix or Youtube etc to one monitor and click fullscreen?

Has anyone here been where i am and had the same concerns etc that can offer advice?

Thank you in advance.
A quick look and.....nope :(

Recommended Gaming Resolutions:

Brodie9666

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Update: I've just bought a Nvidia RTX 2080 Super GPU.
So running either the single Samsung Odyssey G9 or triple Samsung Odyssey G7's (27") shouldnt be an issue.
Again, my biggest concern is that sometimes i just like to have a game on my centre monitor and a browser or Netflix etc on the others. Windows management on a single G9 maybe a chore, i've never tried it, plus gaming in window maybe distracting?
Again, i've never done it so i'm hoping one of you good people has and can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Brodie

The G9 = two 27" 16:9 1440p monitors side by side without bezels. So three G7s is more desktop area (and total pixel area).

Tough call. From a productivity standpoint, I personally prefer separate monitors because of windows' drag and drop windowing (just too lazy to use Win + directional arrows).

If you've got the horsepower to run it, a 32:9 monitor could be cool for some game types (providing they properly scale to widescreen by adding width and not subtracting height.... and don't just letterbox).

I've seen 32:9 49" monitors, but I've never used one long enough to develop a good opinion on one. And the G9 is MEGA curved.
21:9 is more comfortable of a step into widescreen for me (and I have experience with 21:9, not all good memories, but not all bad either)

Im pretty jealous of your monitor budget.

Reactions: Brodie9666
Solution

Brodie9666

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Very sorry, been unable to comment until now, work and RL stuff.
Thank you for your reply.I got my monitor budget by two means. Work offered a ton of overtime which i took (nearly put myself in a early grave, but i just kept on thinking of my end goal.
The second way, was by promising my wife that i wouldnt buy the PS5 coming out later this year, until at least May next year.
Those two combined gave me the just over £1,500 that i needed.

As you've pointed out, many games do not work well with very wide resolutions.
I've decided to go with the 3 monitors because:
  1. I do work from home occasionally and having separate monitors does help.
  2. As you can gather from the above, i occasionally play games on my PS4, and that doesnt seem to do well with very wide resolutions.
  3. if one of my 3 monitors break its not to bad to replace it, if i only have the one super ultra wide and it breaks and screwed.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated :)