Question Triple Samsung LS28BG702EPXEN monitors are stuck on 120Hz ?

Sep 7, 2023
I have a question regarding the possibility of running three 4K 144Hz displays with the Samsung LS28BG702EPXEN. To better illustrate the situation, let me provide some context: The mentioned display features a game mode function called Adaptive Sync. When I activate this function, I can successfully achieve 4K resolution at 144Hz on that specific display, which works without any issues. However, when I enable the game mode on my second display, both displays can run at 4K 144Hz, but unfortunately, this action turns off my third screen.

I've come across various forum threads where people suggest that the issue is related to the game mode, and disabling it should allow me to extend to all three desktops. However, when I turn off the game modes, all three of my displays work, but they are now limited to a refresh rate of 120Hz. I've tried several troubleshooting steps, including testing different cables such as HDMI and DisplayPort, reinstalling Windows and clean installing Nvidia drivers multiple times, and downloading display drivers from Samsung's official website. I've also tried to create a custom resolution through the Nvidia Control Panel however this resolutions test comes back positive but it doesn't save it for me to use.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this issue, and if you need any additional information to help resolve this problem, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are my PC specs:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
- GPU: Inno3D GeForce RTX 4090 X3 OC White
- RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5-4800 MHz
- Motherboard: AMD PRO X670-P WIFI (MS-7D67) (AM5)
- Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

The cables I'm currently using are DisplayPort 1.4 with support for 8K at 60Hz and 4K at 144Hz.

Here are some relevant threads discussing this issue:

1. Microsoft Thread

2. Reddit Thread 1

3. Reddit Thread 2

I have a question regarding the possibility of running three 4K 144Hz displays with the Samsung LS28BG702EPXEN. To better illustrate the situation, let me provide some context: The mentioned display features a game mode function called Adaptive Sync. When I activate this function, I can successfully achieve 4K resolution at 144Hz on that specific display, which works without any issues. However, when I enable the game mode on my second display, both displays can run at 4K 144Hz, but unfortunately, this action turns off my third screen.

I've come across various forum threads where people suggest that the issue is related to the game mode, and disabling it should allow me to extend to all three desktops. However, when I turn off the game modes, all three of my displays work, but they are now limited to a refresh rate of 120Hz. I've tried several troubleshooting steps, including testing different cables such as HDMI and DisplayPort, reinstalling Windows and clean installing Nvidia drivers multiple times, and downloading display drivers from Samsung's official website. I've also tried to create a custom resolution through the Nvidia Control Panel however this resolutions test comes back positive but it doesn't save it for me to use.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this issue, and if you need any additional information to help resolve this problem, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are my PC specs:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
- GPU: Inno3D GeForce RTX 4090 X3 OC White
- RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5-4800 MHz
- Motherboard: AMD PRO X670-P WIFI (MS-7D67) (AM5)
- Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

The cables I'm currently using are DisplayPort 1.4 with support for 8K at 60Hz and 4K at 144Hz.

Here are some relevant threads discussing this issue:

1. Microsoft Thread

2. Reddit Thread 1

3. Reddit Thread 2
The answer is given in the first thread you linked.

All I can think of is Display Stream Compression since your multi-monitor setup there will be pushing against that: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...efresh-rate-displays-with-vesa-display-stream

For instance "When a display is connected to the GPU and is set to DSC mode, the GPU may use two internal heads to drive the display when the pixel rate needed to drive the display mode exceeds the GPU’s single head limit. This may affect your display topology when using multiple monitors. For example if two displays with support for DSC are connected to a single GeForce GPU, all 4 internal heads will be utilized and you will not be able to use a third monitor with the GPU at the same time."
4K 120 Hz is the maximum limit of DisplayPort 1.4 without using DSC.

Sep 7, 2023
This may seem VERY . . . VERY strange but . . . have you ever considered Nvidia Surround?? I knwo that may be kind of a douche thing to ask as I hopefully know that you've thought about it. That way it'll combined all 3 displays into one big display of 11,520 x 2160 144Hz if your using 3 of the same Odyssey Displays so that when you enable Game Mode it'll work at that same rate and won't disable anything. Hopefully I didn't also miss you saying that cuz it was a lot to read and couldn't tell lol.................................food for thought..........................................
Doesn’t allow to use nvidia surround.

The answer is given in the first thread you linked.

4K 120 Hz is the maximum limit of DisplayPort 1.4 without using DSC.
I can 4k 144 hz on 2 of the displays however, pretty sure that uses dsc no?

Should automatically be enabled, if not can u give me more info on how to?

—Edit——

Saw this thread aswell now, fyi I really appreciate the comments. As you can see you 2 are the first

Doesn’t allow to use nvidia surround.

I can 4k 144 hz on 2 of the displays however, pretty sure that uses dsc no?

Should automatically be enabled, if not can u give me more info on how to?

—Edit——

Saw this thread aswell now, fyi I really appreciate the comments. As you can see you 2 are the first

NVIDIA GPUs support up to 4 displays. However, if DSC is active then the display will count as 2. So 2 displays both using DSC maxes out the number of displays supported.
For example if two displays with support for DSC are connected to a single GeForce GPU, all 4 internal heads will be utilized and you will not be able to use a third monitor with the GPU at the same time.

Reactions: Ownergg
Sep 7, 2023
NVIDIA GPUs support up to 4 displays. However, if DSC is active then the display will count as 2. So 2 displays both using DSC maxes out the number of displays supported.
Thank you very much for the explanation, i've been looking for this for so long. Nvidia couldn't pinpoint my issue, neither could samsung or people on reddit.

Thank you once again, i'm about to return the screens anyway and get a super ultra wide that counts as a double display. So i shouldn't have a issue with the DSC there. Thank you once again :)

Sep 13, 2023
Thank you for providing such detailed information about the issue you're facing with running three 4K 144Hz displays on your setup. It's clear you've tried several troubleshooting steps already.

From your description, it seems like there might be a limitation or conflict related to the specific combination of your displays, graphics card, and game mode settings. It's not uncommon for certain features, like Adaptive Sync, to interact differently with multiple displays.

To further diagnose and potentially resolve this issue, I recommend the following:

1. Contact Samsung Support: Reach out to Samsung's support team with the details of your setup and the issue you're facing. They might have specific insights or solutions related to your LS28BG702EPXEN monitor.
  2. Graphics Driver Updates: Keep an eye on driver updates from NVIDIA. Sometimes, new driver releases can include fixes for compatibility issues like the one you're experiencing.