Trojan-gen

Hi, according to Avast, I've been infected with "Win32: Trojan-gen (Other)".
Can someone please tell me where to post the HiJack This log? And feel free
to throw in any advice as well. Thanks.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> Hi, according to Avast, I've been infected with "Win32: Trojan-gen
> (Other)".
> Can someone please tell me where to post the HiJack This log? And feel
> free
> to throw in any advice as well. Thanks.

Thank you Ron.

From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>

| Hi, according to Avast, I've been infected with "Win32: Trojan-gen (Other)".
| Can someone please tell me where to post the HiJack This log? And feel free
| to throw in any advice as well. Thanks.

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

That sounds like a Generic Trojan detection.

Did it flag a particular file ?
If so what is the fully qualified name and path to that file ?

In the mean time, you can do the following which has modules for; McAfee, Sophos and Trend
Micro scanners...

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thank you David. Before Avast caught it (not on the fly, I'm sorry to say) I
ran scans with Spybot and AdAware, which were negative. I then downloaded
and ran T-M SysClean, which I'm familiar with. I then ran HJT and posted the
log to AUMHA forum, and of course I'm hoping they'll respond shortly. So I'd
like to see how that plays out for starters.

Thanks for the newsgroup recommendations. I'll use them for future problems,
and possibly this one as well, depending on how it goes from here.

In answer to your question (I think), the write up in Quarantine says:
Original File Name: Shellexp.exe
Original Folder: C:\WINDOWS\System\
Size of file: 303616

From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>

| Thank you David. Before Avast caught it (not on the fly, I'm sorry to say) I
| ran scans with Spybot and AdAware, which were negative. I then downloaded
| and ran T-M SysClean, which I'm familiar with. I then ran HJT and posted the
| log to AUMHA forum, and of course I'm hoping they'll respond shortly. So I'd
| like to see how that plays out for starters.
|
| Thanks for the newsgroup recommendations. I'll use them for future problems,
| and possibly this one as well, depending on how it goes from here.
|
| In answer to your question (I think), the write up in Quarantine says:
| Original File Name: Shellexp.exe
| Original Folder: C:\WINDOWS\System\
| Size of file: 303616

SpyBot and Ad-aware are for malware but for the non-viral malware category. The anti virus
software covers Trojans better than the non-viral malware applications (even though Trojans
are not true viruses, they are in a cross-over gategory).

Like I said, it was a generic detection based upon the Avast name. To get more information,
please submit a sample of "Shellexp.exe" to Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all paricipating vendors.

When you get the report, please post back the exact reults.

From those results other vendor's virus encyclopedias can be examined for more information
on this infector. Avast does not keep a good encyclopedia. You will also find there is no
standardization in the naming convention of infectors between AV vendors. For example, the
following infector names are for the same infector.

W32/Chode-F -- Sophos
W32/Kelvir.worm.ev -- McAfee
Win32:VBbot -- Avast
Backdoor.Tixanbot -- Symantec

I am glad you are familiar with Tend Micro's Sysclean utility. It is a good Broad-spectrum
removal tool. It is also incorporated in my Multi AV Scanning tool I posted about and it
automates the process of downloading the needed files and running the uitility. The utility
does likewise for the Sophos and McAfee Command Line scanners. It makes using these "On
Demand" scanners easy to use and it is a excellent verification/removal tool.

--

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>
>
>> Thank you David. Before Avast caught it (not on the fly, I'm sorry
>> to say) I
>> ran scans with Spybot and AdAware, which were negative. I then
>> downloaded
>> and ran T-M SysClean, which I'm familiar with. I then ran HJT and
>> posted the
>> log to AUMHA forum, and of course I'm hoping they'll respond
>> shortly. So I'd
>> like to see how that plays out for starters.
>>
>> Thanks for the newsgroup recommendations. I'll use them for future
>> problems,
>> and possibly this one as well, depending on how it goes from here.
>>
>> In answer to your question (I think), the write up in Quarantine
>> says:
>> Original File Name: Shellexp.exe
>> Original Folder: C:\WINDOWS\System\
>> Size of file: 303616
>>

> SpyBot and Ad-aware are for malware but for the non-viral malware
> category. The anti virus software covers Trojans better than the
> non-viral malware applications (even though Trojans are not true
> viruses, they are in a cross-over gategory).
>
> Like I said, it was a generic detection based upon the Avast name.
> To get more information, please submit a sample of "Shellexp.exe" to
> Virus Total -- http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
> The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's
> scanners.
> That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In
> addition, unless told otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample
> to all paricipating vendors.
>
> When you get the report, please post back the exact reults.
>
> From those results other vendor's virus encyclopedias can be examined
> for more information on this infector. Avast does not keep a good
> encyclopedia. You will also find there is no standardization in the
> naming convention of infectors between AV vendors. For example, the
> following infector names are for the same infector.
>
> W32/Chode-F -- Sophos
> W32/Kelvir.worm.ev -- McAfee
> Win32:VBbot -- Avast
> Backdoor.Tixanbot -- Symantec
>
> I am glad you are familiar with Tend Micro's Sysclean utility. It is
> a good Broad-spectrum removal tool. It is also incorporated in my
> Multi AV Scanning tool I posted about and it automates the process of
> downloading the needed files and running the uitility. The utility
> does likewise for the Sophos and McAfee Command Line scanners. It
> makes using these "On Demand" scanners easy to use and it is a
> excellent verification/removal tool.

David - Avast makes it easy to email a file from quarantine - but only to
them (which I just did). As I read their info, the only way I can send the
file to an outside party, like Virus Total, would be to restore it to its
original location in Windows\System (to create an email attachment). To the
uninitiated that doesn't seem like a smart thing to do, but if you don't
think it creates any additional hazard I'll do it. I assume that if I were
to do this, I just send it back into quarantine after I'm done.

From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>

| David - Avast makes it easy to email a file from quarantine - but only to
| them (which I just did). As I read their info, the only way I can send the
| file to an outside party, like Virus Total, would be to restore it to its
| original location in Windows\System (to create an email attachment). To the
| uninitiated that doesn't seem like a smart thing to do, but if you don't
| think it creates any additional hazard I'll do it. I assume that if I were
| to do this, I just send it back into quarantine after I'm done.

It might be best to leave it as-is.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:58:40 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>
wrote:

>Hi, according to Avast, I've been infected with "Win32: Trojan-gen (Other)".
>Can someone please tell me where to post the HiJack This log? And feel free
>to throw in any advice as well. Thanks.

TUTORIALS/HELP FILES:
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42>
<http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm>

DO IT YOURSELF:
<http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective>
<http://www.hijackthis.de/en>
<http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/>

GET EXPERT HELP:
*NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED before posting a log*
*NOTE: Web sites NOT listed in any particular order*
<http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30>
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html>
<http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security>
<http://castlecops.com/forum67.html>
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24>
<http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25>
<http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html>
<http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170>
<http://forum.iamnotageek.com/f-130.html>
<http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17>
<http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5>
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18>
<http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html>
<http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27>
<http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7>
<http://boards.cexx.org/viewforum.php?f=1>
<http://www.malwarebytes.biz/forums/index.php?showforum=5>

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

From: "dak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]>

| On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:58:40 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>
| wrote:
|
>> Hi, according to Avast, I've been infected with "Win32: Trojan-gen (Other)".
>> Can someone please tell me where to post the HiJack This log? And feel free
>> to throw in any advice as well. Thanks.
>>
| TUTORIALS/HELP FILES:
| <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42>
| <http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm>
|
| DO IT YOURSELF:
| <http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective>
| <http://www.hijackthis.de/en>
| <http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/>
|
| GET EXPERT HELP:
| *NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED before posting a log*
| *NOTE: Web sites NOT listed in any particular order*
| <http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30>
| <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html>
| <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security>
| <http://castlecops.com/forum67.html>
| <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24>
| <http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25>
| <http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html>
| <http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170>
| <http://forum.iamnotageek.com/f-130.html>
| <http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17>
| <http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5>
| <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18>
| <http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html>
| <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27>
| <http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7>
| <http://boards.cexx.org/viewforum.php?f=1>
| <http://www.malwarebytes.biz/forums/index.php?showforum=5>
|
| --
| dak
| My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
| <http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>

Hmmm.... Looks like that was taken directly from the; alt.privacy.spyware FAQ.

However, I see no reference to that. It should !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:35:40 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Hmmm.... Looks like that was taken directly from the; alt.privacy.spyware FAQ.
>
>However, I see no reference to that. It should !

No, it shouldn't.
It wasn't taken from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. It's in the
alt.privacy.spyware FAQ because I submitted it to "shplink" for
inclusion in the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. Try this message ID:

<sregd1p5qf15pub9bm0go2qhaqp6c19bi5@4ax.com>

The actual information was compiled from Siljaline's contributions
and my own.
But thanks for asking... Oh, that's right, you didn't... You just
made your assumptions and allegations.... :eek:)

From: "dak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]>

| On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:35:40 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
>> Hmmm.... Looks like that was taken directly from the; alt.privacy.spyware FAQ.
>>
>> However, I see no reference to that. It should !
|
| No, it shouldn't.
| It wasn't taken from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. It's in the
| alt.privacy.spyware FAQ because I submitted it to "shplink" for
| inclusion in the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. Try this message ID:
|
| <sregd1p5qf15pub9bm0go2qhaqp6c19bi5@4ax.com>
|
| The actual information was compiled from Siljaline's contributions
| and my own.
| But thanks for asking... Oh, that's right, you didn't... You just
| made your assumptions and allegations.... :eek:)
|
| --
| dak
| My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
| <http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>

"Looks like that was taken directly from the..." is not an allegation, at best its an
assumption.

Its the "which came first, the chicken or the egg..." type deal. It is the exact text from
the FAQ so I am right in my assumption. The fact that you submitted it shplink is more than
fantastic !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:56:10 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>> Hmmm.... Looks like that was taken directly from the; alt.privacy.spyware FAQ.
>>>
>>> However, I see no reference to that. It should !
>>
>> No, it shouldn't.
>> It wasn't taken from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. It's in the
>> alt.privacy.spyware FAQ because I submitted it to "shplink" for
>> inclusion in the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. Try this message ID:
>>
>> <sregd1p5qf15pub9bm0go2qhaqp6c19bi5@4ax.com>
>>
>> The actual information was compiled from Siljaline's contributions
>> and my own.
>> But thanks for asking... Oh, that's right, you didn't... You just
>> made your assumptions and allegations.... :eek:)
>
>"Looks like that was taken directly from the..." is not an allegation, at best its an
>assumption.

You assumed it was taken directly from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ
and alleged it should have a reference to it.

>Its the "which came first, the chicken or the egg..." type deal.

That was solved (for *some*) a long time ago. :eek:)

>It is the exact text from the FAQ so I am right in my assumption. The fact that you
>submitted it shplink is more than fantastic !

Your assumption is wrong because it is not the exact text from the
FAQ, it's the other way around - the FAQ is the exact text from my
posts and submission. I took nothing from the FAQ, I gave to it.
And now that is solved - everyone knows that I didn't plagerize the
alt.privacy.spyware FAQ, the FAQ didn't plagerize me, nor did I
plagerize myself (much like John Fogarty) and the timeline/record of
events has been set straight. :eek:)
Thank you for the kind words about my FAQ submissions, as a
reciprocal your contributions and involvement in several newsgroups
has not gone unnoticed. I, for one, appreciate the voluntary
assistance you have rendered others.

From: "dak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]>

>>> No, it shouldn't.
>>> It wasn't taken from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. It's in the
>>> alt.privacy.spyware FAQ because I submitted it to "shplink" for
>>> inclusion in the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ. Try this message ID:
>>>
>>> <sregd1p5qf15pub9bm0go2qhaqp6c19bi5@4ax.com>
>>>
>>> The actual information was compiled from Siljaline's contributions
>>> and my own.
>>> But thanks for asking... Oh, that's right, you didn't... You just
>>> made your assumptions and allegations.... :eek:)
>>
>> "Looks like that was taken directly from the..." is not an allegation, at best its an
>> assumption.
>>
| You assumed it was taken directly from the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ
| and alleged it should have a reference to it.
|
>> Its the "which came first, the chicken or the egg..." type deal.
>>
| That was solved (for *some*) a long time ago. :eek:)
|
>> It is the exact text from the FAQ so I am right in my assumption. The fact that you
>> submitted it shplink is more than fantastic !
>>
| Your assumption is wrong because it is not the exact text from the
| FAQ, it's the other way around - the FAQ is the exact text from my
| posts and submission. I took nothing from the FAQ, I gave to it.
| And now that is solved - everyone knows that I didn't plagerize the
| alt.privacy.spyware FAQ, the FAQ didn't plagerize me, nor did I
| plagerize myself (much like John Fogarty) and the timeline/record of
| events has been set straight. :eek:)
| Thank you for the kind words about my FAQ submissions, as a
| reciprocal your contributions and involvement in several newsgroups
| has not gone unnoticed. I, for one, appreciate the voluntary
| assistance you have rendered others.
|
| --
| dak
| My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
| <http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>

Well it is easy to make that mistake. One can expect anybody to grab text from another
place and use it it their respective post. It is unexpected to find the actual person who
created said text in the first place and of course, unless you have given up rights to it,
can use it at will w/o referencing it.

I must say that i posted this after I had quoyed that exact area of text in the WinXP
General News Group. It was posted in reference to a poster, who goes against all MVPs and
other repliers, and continuously asks posters to post HJT logs in the WinXP General News
Group. I replied that even alt.aprivacy.spyware dissuades their posting and should be
posted in qualified web forums. I quoted section #7 of the FAQ and the list of web sites.
I did give full reference to that fact it was taken from the FAQ.

You analogy of John Fogarty was excellent. As the judge stated (paraphrased) he wrote the
music and if it sounded like Credance it is because ehe wrote the music for Credance and the
msuic after Credance broke up. Therefore they sounded alike but did not plagerize the
Credance sound (since he gave up the rights to the music upon CCR's break up).

We all make mistakes. I made this one ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:30:24 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Well it is easy to make that mistake. One can expect anybody to grab text from another
>place and use it it their respective post. It is unexpected to find the actual person who
>created said text in the first place and of course, unless you have given up rights to it,
>can use it at will w/o referencing it.

Yes, it is easy. In your defense your original post was based solely
on the information and knowledge that was available to you at that
point in time. I realized that then, and have kept it in mind during
our entire exchange.

>I must say that i posted this after I had quoyed that exact area of text in the WinXP
>General News Group. It was posted in reference to a poster, who goes against all MVPs and
>other repliers, and continuously asks posters to post HJT logs in the WinXP General News
>Group. I replied that even alt.aprivacy.spyware dissuades their posting and should be
>posted in qualified web forums. I quoted section #7 of the FAQ and the list of web sites.
>I did give full reference to that fact it was taken from the FAQ.

I've also seen/experienced this type of poster and I doubt that any
amount of common sense and reasoning applied will sway him/her. You
can only do so much and hope it reaches the individuals in need before
any damage is done.
I would also assume that this poster is a self-professed expert on
the HJT logs.

>You analogy of John Fogarty was excellent. As the judge stated (paraphrased) he wrote the
>music and if it sounded like Credance it is because ehe wrote the music for Credance and the
>msuic after Credance broke up. Therefore they sounded alike but did not plagerize the
>Credance sound (since he gave up the rights to the music upon CCR's break up).

Exactly, like Popeye said, "I yam what I yam, and that's all that I
yam."

>We all make mistakes. I made this one ;-)

I certainly make my share!
Of course, you had no way of knowing you were mistaken until you had
the whole picture, I've been "guilty" of that myself. I just had more
information than you did about it from the outset.
Anyway, I've enjoyed the exchange, happy the outcome was amicable,
and glad we're on the same side. :eek:)