TRON PC Case Build

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boddaker1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is my entry into Cooler Master's case mod competition, scratch build category.

Title.jpg

Been working in Sketchup, building a mockup of the lightcycle suitable for housing a full ATX system with watercooling. It ended up being 40" long, but relatively short. As for the design, I didn't want to make a spot-on replica of the bike, so I went with my layered acrylic method, with just a few skinned areas around the wheels and top. This allows me to hide more components inside as well. Anyway, on with the mockups:

Upon removing some layers, you can see the initial motherboard placement and other components.

To give you a better idea of size, I placed a Cooler Master Cosmos case next to it.

PRELIMINARY PARTS LIST

EVGA X58 Motherboard
Intel i7 965 processor
EVGA GTX570 video cards in SLI
Crucial SSD
Crucial Ballistix memory
Pioneer Slimline slot load DVD drive
Cooler Master Silent Gold 850W Power Supply (qualifying product)
Dual bay reservoir by Primochill
Other watercooling parts TBD

I'm planning something special for the front radiator, more on that later. ;-)

So that's the basic plan, I'll be adding more detail as I go along.

There are quite a few entries already, including one from Bill Owen and Slipperyskip in the case mod category. So it's going to be a good show! :D

Boddaker1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for the comments everyone!

It's all good, I'll get it sorted. There are always going to be bugs to work out with custom builds like this. Probably got a couple wires crossed or something simple.

Boddaker1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well I'm happy to report that the wiring issues have been worked out, and its up and running. :D But it's now on its merry way to be shown at Computex, and I didn't get a chance to do any testing on that rad. So a temps report will have to wait until I get it back after the show.

Cheers, and thanks for the votes!

Boddaker1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thank you marco & aznguy!

So while I was sorting through all my pics, I found a few that I neglected to post earlier. Here's some shots of the mesh pieces I made for the top. I didn't have a large enough piece to cover the whole length, so I had to do it in two.

I managed to match the hexagon pattern so you can't really tell.

I bent the sides down so it fits snugly in between the two ribs, and I used black zip ties to hold it in place. No time for a more elaborate fastening solution lol.

Here's a shot of the wiring bus I used to connect all the led strips to power.

Some cabling shots. Sleeved ATX, PCI-e, and 12v. You can also see the strings of leds that will be placed around the inside of the window, using velcro.

And some shots of the fairings hanging up after painting.

Assembling...

That's it for now. Next post will probably be an update showing the case at Computex. :)

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Congrats on the win! :sol:
Just wish I had the funds to comission one for myself :love:

Boddaker1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks guys. The case is now at Computex on display at NVIDIA's booth.

I won't be selling it anytime soon, however, I am open to the possibility of making more TRON cases, if I get enough interest. I can probably get the cost down per unit if I can do a few at the same time. I will need to do some revisions to the current design first, before it can be reproduced.

If anyone is interested, please send me a pm. Thanks!

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Very nice work Bod,

can you pm me and let me know what you would need to build me a case like this? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.