[SOLVED] Trouble converting mbr2gpt on windows 10

stevwolf

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Trying to convert Optiplex 990 to GPT.
I have tried many different methods nothing seems to work. Either it does not boot after convertions (Yes I changed the bios to read UEFI) or it just does not work. I have used mbr2gpt program, and others.
One method is as follows from an old post.

----- snip ---

1. Setup the BIOS to UEFI
  2. Start the windows setup booting from de DVD
  3. Pres shift-F10 to get a command prompt
  4. DISKPART: select disk 0, clean, convert GPT
  5. Exit diskpart, exit command prompt
  6. Continue setup
Now UEFI Works
---- snip --

Even this does not work. Im wondering if the install USB I have with windows install is and old version and does not understand GPT.
The theory as I understand it is that the install looks at the disk and if its GPT it installs it on gpt. However in my case it just defaults to MBR in the end, even though the disk to start has been converted to gpt. The install just ignors this and creates a mbr and continues on its way tossing the gpt out the window.
Any thoughts?

Solution
I always think outside the windows box. I use a usb with a linux distro, boot that, use the gparted app to check the drive, delete all partitions, set gpt identifier. Then its ready for windows install.

If your windows install usb is too old, just go to the windows site where they have the Media Creation Tool and download an up to date version of the windows install. This will work, I've done it recently myself, practicing for a new year's day fresh install.
I always think outside the windows box. I use a usb with a linux distro, boot that, use the gparted app to check the drive, delete all partitions, set gpt identifier. Then its ready for windows install.

If your windows install usb is too old, just go to the windows site where they have the Media Creation Tool and download an up to date version of the windows install. This will work, I've done it recently myself, practicing for a new year's day fresh install.

Solution