Trouble deleting files from a leftover program

turbofiat124

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I tried uninstalling AVG since they no longer support XP. Or at least I don't think so. The free version on this particular computer expired back in 2015. For some reason the latest version I downloaded says it's a DOS application. This maybe because it's actually for Windows 10 and XP doesn't know what to do with it.

Anyway I ran the uninstaller using CCleaner. That didn't work. So I ran the uninstaller through the Windows application. That didn't work either. It just said the uninstallation was unsuccessful or something. Even though I "killed" the program using CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

So I went into safe mode under the administrator and was able to uninstall AVG that way.

I ran Ccleaner to clean up the registry and whatever was left over.

I went into "search" and scanned the entire hard drive for anything with "AVG" in it. It found over 2000 files pertaining to AVG. Most are ".TXT", ".DDL" and others are ".PF" files. I don't know what ".PF" an extension is. I guess it's unique to AVG.

Anyway when I try to delete these files, Windows won't let me. Even though AVG should be uninstalled. The first file on the list that won't let me delete is a .TXT file anyway.

These files are taking up space on my hard drive and I'd like to get rid of them.

How can I delete these files? One idea was to do into DOS and do it that way. I haven't fooled with DOS in some time so I guess it would be C: then DELETE AVG*.*" . If so, can someone help me out with the commands?

The other idea is to remove the hard drive from the computer and plug it into another computer running XP but that seems like allot of trouble.

Any ideas?