[SOLVED] Trouble keeping sustained Link Speed with Nighhawk X10 and intel 9260 adapter

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hello,

I installed a new wireless adapter in my laptop a while ago, I tinkered with it and got it working at 1733/1733 link speed which is what it should get for speeds and I never looked back at it until recently. I checked because my transfer speeds were very slow via wifi and sometimes the connection would drop. I didn't know the link speeds change, but it seems to change every time I look at it I even see double-digit link speeds. I have been reading on this trying to try different channels, but it only seems to make it worse and there is not much for options to try different settings. Does anyone know how I should get these sustained speeds or at least decent speeds? I transfer lots of large files to my nas so 1-5 MB/s is killing me. I am only worried about LAN speeds as well.

Laptop Lenovo T450S
ISP Charter Gig Service
Wireless Adapter 9260
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
Router Netgear Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router

Last edited:
Solution
160Mhz channel width will show high link speed sometimes, but it is very susceptible to interference. You will have a much more stable connection with 80Mhz. Because of this WIFI6 is usually no different than AC for most.

kanewolf

Titan
160Mhz channel width will show high link speed sometimes, but it is very susceptible to interference. You will have a much more stable connection with 80Mhz. Because of this WIFI6 is usually no different than AC for most.

Solution
Dec 18, 2021
While I was changing battery on my Alienware 13 R3 I noticed that one of IPX connectors was broken off.
Lots of people wrote reviews that they had bad performance with Killer 1435 and they were upgrading to Intel, so hopefully now I will have better speeds.

You do not need to replace Wi-Fi wire if same thing happened to you. Order these glasses and get one needle and slowly pry out piece of connector that stayed in the connector on the wire side. It took me some time slowly getting it out, but I managed to get it out. \