[SOLVED] Trouble setting up maximum voltage on Ryzen 5 3600?

Jul 24, 2020
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and I want to set up a maximum cpu core voltage of 1.25v to account for heat idle temps, yet when after I go into Ryzen Master, it always says my maximum voltage is "Auto", but I've turned off my motherboard's PBO, so I don't exactly know what going on?
My CPU Core voltage is 1.25, my VDDSOC is 1.2v, and my CLDO VGGD is 1.000.

Solution
We, and AMD generally, recommend 3rd Gen Ryzen 3000 series CPUs to not be run at sustained maximum temperatures higher than 80°C. Anything below 80°C is not going to cause electromigration or VT shift. In fact, you could LIKELY run it consistently at 85-90°C without TOO much worry about any kind of thermal damage, but beyond that would make things increasingly likely for electromigration and damage from thermal stress to occur.

The problem is, that by design, it's not likely to run at those temps anyhow because of the throttle behavior. So yes, as long as you are not exceeding 80°C on a regular basis and certainly not for extended periods, anything less than that is completely safe.
Why are you worried about idle temps? They are irrelevant, unless you have higher than recommended maximum temps?

If your idle temps were 79°C, it wouldn't matter, so long as your steady state, 100% full load maximum temps were not higher than 80°C. And, while that IS an exaggeration, because something would have to be tremendously wrong for you to actually have a 79°C idle temp, and you'd never manage to stay within recommended maximum temps, if you could, it would be fine. There is no benefit to having a 30°C idle temperature over having a 40°C idle temperature so long as you are thermally compliant at the other end of the spectrum and are not exceeding 80°C while running Prime95 Small FFT with AVX/AVX2 disabled, or OCCT small data set, also with those AVX instruction sets disabled, for 15 minutes.

If you're using the stock cooler, THAT is the problem you should be focusing on, not what the idle temperature is doing, unless of course the maximum temps are out of recommended range in which case THEN idle temps matter because they become an indicator of the problem.

What CPU cooler are you using?

What case?

How many case fans, where exactly are they located and exactly what direction is each case fan oriented to blow?

Jul 24, 2020
I'm using the Arctic 7 x at a constant max speed, 2 intakes at the front and 2 exhausts at the back, but what I'm getting at here is that as long as my cpu is under the max temp rating at full load I'm fine? If so that takes a lot of stress off my shoulders as I have had worries about cpu degradation at constant higher idle temps.

We, and AMD generally, recommend 3rd Gen Ryzen 3000 series CPUs to not be run at sustained maximum temperatures higher than 80°C. Anything below 80°C is not going to cause electromigration or VT shift. In fact, you could LIKELY run it consistently at 85-90°C without TOO much worry about any kind of thermal damage, but beyond that would make things increasingly likely for electromigration and damage from thermal stress to occur.

The problem is, that by design, it's not likely to run at those temps anyhow because of the throttle behavior. So yes, as long as you are not exceeding 80°C on a regular basis and certainly not for extended periods, anything less than that is completely safe.

Solution