[SOLVED] Trouble transferring files from External Hard Drive to new computer

noone998

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a 1TB western digital My Passport that i am using to transfer files from one computer to another. While all other files are ok, this particlar folder just wont transfer <around 1 gb worth of pictures>.

1. I have tried checking for viruses to changing ports
  2. As well as switching com ports from USB 3.0 to 2.0.
  3. I have also checked that the hard drive is working fine by transferring new files to it and sending it to another computer. Error checking is fine too.
  4. Includes cut and copy as well as dragging the files. All other current files are ok. Any new files inserted is also ok.
  5. Tried it on different PC.
It just shows that the transfer is stuck. Even for a picture in that folder only

Update to include OS:
Windows 10

Specs
i5-7500
B250M-D3H
corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb
Zotac GTX1060 mini

Last edited:
Solution
Create a user account with the EXACT same name and password as the old computer account on your new computer
Log onto this account. Plug in the hard drive and transfer the files to the user account you normally use.
This PC
C: drive
Users
Your normal account name.
Pictures.
Do not just open pictures on the old/new account you just created and copy them there. They need to be placed in your regular user account.
After you are done . Log into your normal account and access the pictures.
If all is good you can delete the new account you just created.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

How many files in that folder?

Try transferring the folder's files (pictures) in smaller groups versus all at once.

If possible, discover some number of files that will successfully transfer.

Then try transferring a slightly larger number of files: for example maybe 10 more files (pictures) than the original successful transfer.

Use copy and paste versus "move" or "drag and drop". You will end up with duplicate files (original source folder and also in target/destination folder). However once the pictures are proven accessible and readable in the new folder then the source folder can be deleted if desired.

However, I would hold off on that deletion for awhile if at all possible. Just as a precaution should something else go astray.

noone998

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

How many files in that folder?

Try transferring the folder's files (pictures) in smaller groups versus all at once.

If possible, discover some number of files that will successfully transfer.

Then try transferring a slightly larger number of files: for example maybe 10 more files (pictures) than the original successful transfer.

Use copy and paste versus "move" or "drag and drop". You will end up with duplicate files (original source folder and also in target/destination folder). However once the pictures are proven accessible and readable in the new folder then the source folder can be deleted if desired.

However, I would hold off on that deletion for awhile if at all possible. Just as a precaution should something else go astray.

All right i have tried taking ownership, it works with almost everything except for 1 gb of photos. Tried Copy Paste too. It seems like i cant take ownership. Old computer is kaput. Any ideas ?

Create a user account with the EXACT same name and password as the old computer account on your new computer
Log onto this account. Plug in the hard drive and transfer the files to the user account you normally use.
This PC
C: drive
Users
Your normal account name.
Pictures.
Do not just open pictures on the old/new account you just created and copy them there. They need to be placed in your regular user account.
After you are done . Log into your normal account and access the pictures.
If all is good you can delete the new account you just created.

Last edited:
Solution