Troubleshooter Not Working

Saad073

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
23
0
18,510
0
My desktop has recently started having issues with the Troubleshooting program built into Win 7. Every single troubleshooter, no matter where or what context it is being used in, stops after a few seconds and gives an error that it cannot continue. Here's what the message looks like:

An error occurred while troubleshooting:
An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard cannot continue.

When I click on the 'View Error Details' underneath this message, here is what I get:

Package ID: (any thing here)
Path: Unknown
Error Code: 0x80131700
Source: Engine
User: PC\[Me]
Context: Elevated

These error details remain exactly the same every time I use the troubleshooter. Any ideas for why this is happening would be much appreciated.
 

Saad073

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
23
0
18,510
0
Well I guess I solved my own problem. If anyone in the future finds this thread, here is my solution:

It was an issue with the .NET Framework I had installed on my PC. I went to the Control Panel and went to Uninstall a Program. Then I scrolled down until I found Microsoft .NET Framework and click Uninstall/Change. After that I clicked on Repair instead of remove and that was it. It fixed itself and my troubleshooter is working again.
 

aec618

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
1
0
4,510
0
I had the same issue just come up a couple days ago ( Dec 2014)--I found it when I tried to install a program via CD that wanted to get onto the internet and it wouldn't do it, so I tried to run the troubleshooter. I got the same error message you did. started reading online threads like this one and found all my troubleshooters were doing the same thing.


Tried to rack my brain for what has changed lately on my PC: my antivirus trapped a Trojan 2 weeks ago successfully; deleted 5 instances of it (don't click on news links that are not from the original legitimate news website you went to lol!). Also when that happened I adjusted Adobe Flash settings in Control panel to delete all stored data, aka "mega-cookies", and I set it to *not* allow it to store stuff on my PC. I also updated the software for my NAS user interface.

I tried the various solutions seen online:

--Crypto services--were already running and on automatic.

-Tried editing (enabling) the group policy settings for scripted diagnostics--it did not help, so I changed them back. I am just on a home network of two desktops so I really don't use GP. I set everything I'd changed back to "not configured".

-I did uncheck "server cert revocation" and "publisher cert revocation' in the Advanced tab of Internet Options in IE10. I left those unchecked so unsure if that helped or not. Maybe.

-I went to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and did a repair of Microsoft.NET. No change.

-I have Norton Utilities, so I ran that to scrub/fix the registry and that didn't fix it either.

-I ran System File Checker (run menu --> "sfc /scannow"--no problems detected.

-Last ditch effort, I totally powered down the PC vs. just restarting. I also powered down all the peripherals. I noted the yellow shield present on the "shut down" button, and it installed 1 update at shutdown.

-So, I restarted after letting everything sit for 30 seconds, and now my troubleshooters are working again. I never did get to change Adobe Flash settings; didn't need to.

I'm not sure what I did that fixed it, but something along the way did, and I'm grateful. I'm betting it was one or a combination of these tips and for whatever reason it just didn't kick in until I powered down.

My PC is a homebrew custom; Biostar A880G mobo, AMD Athlon II X3 CPU, 3.3gHz with the 4th core unlocked like a Phenom II; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT 30 video card; Windows 7 Professional, SP1.