Question Troubleshooting CPU temps

Jan 14, 2022
Good morning guys.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 that is idling at around 100 c. Whenever anything is done on the computer it jumps to 113c and shuts off.
It’s liquid cooled so I didn’t think temps would be a problem.
Any advice would be appreciated
To also provide context. I swapped in a new power supply and this was not happening before I did that.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Good morning guys.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 that is idling at around 100 c. Whenever anything is done on the computer it jumps to 113c and shuts off.
To also provide context. I swapped in a new power supply and this was not happening before I did that.
Cooler not mounted properly, pump power connection not plugged in, or dead pump.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Good morning guys.

Hey there,

So, it sounds as if the cooler may be malfunctioning. Is it an AIO? which cooler exactly? It may be that the pump has failed and isn't circulating the liquid, which would result in practically no cooling effect at all.

You're best bet is not to keep running the system until you either fix or replace cooler.

List your other PC specs including case, so we can advise of a replacement.

Jan 14, 2022
Hey there,

So, it sounds as if the cooler may be malfunctioning. Is it an AIO? which cooler exactly? It may be that the pump has failed and isn't circulating the liquid, which would result in practically no cooling effect at all.

You're best bet is not to keep running the system until you either fix or replace cooler.

List your other PC specs including case, so we can advise of a replacement.
Thank you for the response. If I let it idle it stays at around 63c. But if I do ANYTHING (even open a task menu) it starts ramping up the fan and the temp goes up to about 96c. I know the liquid is flowing because one pipe is hot and the other is cooler. I’m just not able to literally do anything with the load and temp going up significantly

Aug 10, 2021
This may sound silly and I mean no offence, but if you recently installed the aio did you check to see if there was a sticker on the face plate? Don't ask how I know. Try reinstalling fresh thermal paste and recheck your wiring.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thank you for the response. If I let it idle it stays at around 63c. But if I do ANYTHING (even open a task menu) it starts ramping up the fan and the temp goes up to about 96c. I know the liquid is flowing because one pipe is hot and the other is cooler. I’m just not able to literally do anything with the load and temp going up significantly

Hey,

We're happy to try help you.

Listen, you've had some really direct advice from some very knowledgeable people from Tom's! By all accounts you have a CPU thermal issue as a result of your cooler. There are a number of reasons as why that may be, as the other posters have mentioned. Either the cooler isn't mounted correctly, or thermal paste isn't applied correctly, or the AIO (Liquid cooling) pump is not doing what it should. You will need to check these things to find out.

We can only offer advice on actions to take and what makes sense from what you've told us. With that said, only you can try these suggestions on your machine, and hopefully get a positive result.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Cactus 52