Question Troubleshooting help? Surge protector caught fire and PC fans spin but won't post

Jun 24, 2024
Build specs:

Ryzen 7 5700x
RX 6950X
EVGA 600BQ 80+ Bronze

So my surge protector caught fire randomly this morning, everyone was asleep and the PC was off. Now my PC won't post, the fans spin and lights turn on but no output to monitor. I've tried replacing the PSU but I'm still having the same issue, so I'm fairly confident that's not the problem, or at least not the only problem. Is there anyway to test the CPU/mobo/GPU myself beyond buying a completely new chip and risking not being able to return them? Is there any other issue source I'm overlooking?

Jun 24, 2024
Different outlet didn't work either. Still no monitor output which I'm assuming means no post, unfortunately I don't think I have a way to check post on the mobo itself

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Does the system have a built in speaker? If not try to find the connections and install a small speaker.

There may or may not be any beep codes.

Try another known working monitor - the monitor in use may have been damaged?

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Leave the boot drive in place - remove all other drives.

Any insight as to why the surge protector caught fire - what else is (was) plugged into it?

Just for the record: make and model surge protector?

Jun 24, 2024
Does the system have a built in speaker? If not try to find the connections and install a small speaker.

There may or may not be any beep codes.

Try another known working monitor - the monitor in use may have been damaged?

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Leave the boot drive in place - remove all other drives.

Any insight as to why the surge protector caught fire - what else is (was) plugged into it?

Just for the record: make and model surge protector?
The only things plugged into it were the PC, both monitors, and a Nintendo DS charging cable. At the time the PC was off, the monitors were in sleep mode and the cable was not in use.

Unfortunately I'm not sure why the protector caught fire, it could be due to age or it could've been due to faulty wiring in the building. I've cracked it open and there was little dust or hair inside the casing. I took it from my parents house so I have no idea the make, just a model number but I couldn't find it online. The model number is YLPT-2SP in case someone with the expertise can find it.

I'll work on finding a speaker to hook up to it and make an update post on that in a little bit. I'm also gonna go to a friend's place and swap out the GPU and CPU respectively to see if those resolve things.

Ralston18

Titan
If you suspect faulty wiring then someone needs to call a qualified electrician to check the circuits.

First as a matter of safety in general.

Second, as a matter of not burning up another computer or anything else for that matter.

For a surge protector to catch fire that means that current was flowing somewhere with lots of resistance and some component got hot.

Note: Model number pattern matches Commericial Electric products carried by Home Depot and other big box stores.