Question Troubleshooting MB error

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
In the past couple of weeks, my MB has taken a long time to POST, like 30 seconds to a minute. But once it does POST, it would boot into OS normally. However, in the past 2 days, after it has POST normally (with a single beep), it would immediate encounter an error (with 2 additional beeps). The error code shown on the MB indicates a Legacy Boot Event, i.e. the MB isn't accessing the OS. When this happens, nothing would show up on the screen. The monitor's power indicates that it is still asleep.

I managed to get it to boot normally by restarting multiple times. The OS works fine.

Question is, how can I troubleshoot this? And if flashing my BIOS would help? My specs are as follow:

Intel Core i7 5960x
Asus X99-A
4 x GSkills 2400mhz
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair RM850

Last edited:

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
I would try replacing the CMOS battery with a new one firstly.

I've done this. For some reason, there are even more errors now.

I'm still able to get into the OS by repeatedly restarting the PC and pressing 'Del' after the POST beep. However, there are a number of errors in the OS.

-While running Photoshop, the PC would freeze for a short while, the monitors would go black and then they would come back on with the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"
-While playing Divinity OS 2, the game crashed twice at the loading screen.
-When out in desktop, opening up chrome, the PC reset itself twice.

I wanna troubleshoot to see what exactly is causing these issues. Any idea where to begin? Thanks in advance!

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
I've unplugged all of my drives and inserted a spare drive where I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 to test. I've also updated the BIOS to the latest non-beta version.

The issue is still happening. The PC would POST but more than half the time, the motherboard flash screen would not appear and the monitor indicates no signal. Even when the flash screen does appear, sometimes it gets stuck there. After many tries, I can finally get into the OS.

I'm guessing it's a hardware issue with the MB. The problem now is that it is a LGA 2011 v3 socket. It is difficult to find a replacement. But if I was to buy a new setup, say, i9 9900KS, it would be a minimal upgrade and the 5960x would go to waste :X

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
Update:
I changed the cable to my graphics card and the issue went away for a while. But it has started again. However, I realised that the boot error issue is not what I have described.

In the above posts, I stated that the PC would give me the POST error beeps and the monitors would show that they're in sleep mode. What I didn't realise is that even with the POST errors, the PC was booting up normally while the monitors are in sleep mode. I left the PC running after the POST error beeps and about a minute later, I hear the windows log in sound.

So I'm just wondering if this is a GPU issue, a MB issue or maybe PSU?