Troubleshooting My GTX 1050 ti with a Dell Optiplex 790

levstad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hey TH,
I have a Dell Optiplex 790 MT configured to UEFI (it has a Legacy boot option, something I know the GTX 1050 ti doesn't support), and am wondering if anybody has any tips for my rocky road through installation. The system on paper should support the low power draw of the 1050 ti, and with UEFI set-up, I have no idea why my monitor is getting nothing when I insert the card. I actually know for a fact that my system's power shouldn't be an issue because I have an upgraded PSU-being an EVGA 600B.
I've tried things from other forums like installing the card and resetting the CMOS, using both DVI and HDMI from the card to the same monitor with both inputs, and using different monitors altogether. I'm stuck and can't quite think of how to advance past this point. When my main monitor is plugged into the card I have no signal through what I assume is the POST and boot into windows (it's a clean install with no programs or passwords yet), and then the screen activates but only is black. Has anybody else had any issues like this? Any tips? I've also been DMing youtubers with a working identical setup..

Not all GTX1050TI are UEFI. Compatability is better if they aren't. My ZOTAC GTX1050Ti is Legacy BIOS.
So comfirm this first.
Then boot into Safe Mode (F8). Any GPU should be able to run this. Then remove the old GPU drivers.
Then with new GPU installed install new drivers in Safe Mode if possible, some won't install there and you need normal boot.

levstad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Sounds good, I'll try it out when I get back from work. My card came used and there weren't any installation instructions or manuals in the box, but is a Zotac..