Question Troubleshooting My MSI Pro B650M-A WiFi Build - Stuck on DRAM Light, Monitor Shows No Signal

May 7, 2024
Hey everyone,

I could really use some help with a build I’m working on. I’m running into a frustrating issue and would appreciate any advice or guidance you can offer.

Build Details:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 with stock cooler (new)
  • GPU: Asrock Phantom RX 6800 (used, tested and worked fine at the seller’s place)
  • RAM: XPG Lancer Blade 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6400MHz CL32 (new)
    • Model: AX5U6400C3216G-DTLABBK
  • Motherboard: MSI Pro B650M-A WiFi (used, bought on eBay, still under PayPal warranty)
  • PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ 80 Plus Gold (used, tested with a meter when purchased)
  • SSD: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 (Amazon "Like New")
  • Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 (new, but I haven’t mounted the motherboard yet)
The Problem: When I power on the system:

1. The PSU and GPU fans start up, and the GPU’s RGB lights come on.
  2. For the first few seconds, the CPU red light and the DRAM yellow light are both on.
  3. After about 20 seconds, the CPU red light turns off, leaving only the DRAM yellow light (I’m not sure if it stays on solid or flashes—can check again if needed).
  4. The monitor stays black and shows “No Signal” (connected via HDMI to the GPU). I’ve tested the monitor and HDMI cable with my laptop, and they work perfectly.
Steps I’ve Taken:

• BIOS Flash: I tried flashing the latest BIOS using the USB BIOS Flashback feature. The white light stayed on until it blinked, so I assumed it finished, but the issue persisted.
  • RAM Troubleshooting: I tested each stick of RAM individually in all four slots, but the problem stayed the same.
  • Checked PSU: The PSU fan stays on, and I confirmed it was working with a meter when I bought it.
  • Inspected CPU Pins: I checked the CPU for bent pins. This is my first time doing this, so I’m not entirely sure, but nothing looked obviously bent. I can provide pictures if that helps.
  • Out-of-Case Testing: I’ve been doing all of this testing with the motherboard out of the case, using only the essential components (CPU, one or two sticks of RAM, GPU, and PSU). I haven’t mounted the motherboard into the case yet.
  • RAM Compatibility: I checked MSI’s official QVL (Qualified Vendor List), and this RAM model is listed as compatible.
Additional Info:

• Most of the parts in this build are used, except for the CPU, RAM, and case. The GPU, PSU, and SSD were purchased used (or "like new"), and the motherboard was bought from eBay.
  • I don’t have another system to test the RAM, PSU, CPU, or GPU, so troubleshooting has been tough. I’m considering buying a different brand of 16x2 DDR5 RAM on Amazon just to see if the RAM is the issue.
  • I’ve tried reaching out to ADATA/XPG support, but I haven’t had any luck. Their U.S. phone number says they’re moving and can’t take calls, and their online support form wouldn’t submit on Firefox or Chrome. If anyone knows a Canadian phone number for ADATA/XPG support, I’d really appreciate it.
Questions:
  1. Could this be a compatibility issue between the RAM and the motherboard, even though the RAM is listed as compatible?
    • Even though the RAM is listed on the motherboard’s Qualified Vendor List (QVL), it’s still possible to encounter compatibility issues. Sometimes BIOS updates are required to fully support certain RAM modules, especially at higher speeds like 6400MHz (although I believe base clock speed is lower than 6000 Mhz?). Additionally, even compatible RAM can have issues if there are subtle differences in the memory's firmware or if the motherboard's BIOS has bugs. Could this issue be resolved with a different set of RAM, perhaps at a lower frequency?
  2. What other troubleshooting steps should I try?
    • Given what I've already tried, are there other methods I should consider? Like, could this be an issue with the PSU delivering power inconsistently? Any insights or additional steps would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Does anyone know the Canadian phone number for ADATA/XPG support?
    • If anyone knows a reliable way to reach their support team from Canada, whether it’s a phone number, an email address, or another method, I’d be very grateful!
I’m pretty stuck here and could really use some help. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Cheers!
Edit : completed the questions

Last edited: