Troubleshooting no post and no display. (I've read and followed the guides)

jonbenderr

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
First things first, I have followed the guides I have found through searching and I am still coming up empty handed. I'm breadboarding at this point trying to determine what is going on while trying to not throw to much money away.

System:
ASRock B85 Pro4
Intel i5 4670k
2 4gb Ballistix Sport DDR3 Ram
500w psu

So, to give details of symptoms leading up to the problem, first time around I had recently upgraded to windows 10. Everything was running beautifully. Then, while running some music software (Ableton Live Suite 9), program freezes. I can still move the mouse around. Things seem fine elsewhere. i'm even able to ctrl+alt+del and shut down properly.

Upon trying to restart, nothing. CPU fan turns on, all fans are go, but no post screen.

So I try replacing the PSU with a 400w unit. (500w was actually overkill from the research I did, but I figured it would leave room for expansion.) Anyways, 400w unit would power on fans for a few seconds, then power down, rinse repeat.

So I swapped the 400w unit back to the 500w unit. I also took the video card out that I had in at the time (AMD Radeon HD6570). Plugged into mobo graphics, reset CMOS, and boom, system was running again.

Well things were good for the past few weeks until a day ago. Same exact symptom running the same exact software and now I can't get the thing to boot up for the life of me.

So from these descriptions, what kind of things would you guys suspect? Like I said, I'm just trying not to throw money at it.

Examining the mobo I don't see anything looking burnt. Ram all LOOKS good. CPU pins are all nice and uniform with no irregularities and there is not even a hint of heat anywhere on the shield.

I can say my surge protector is pretty old. Could this be causing lack of power to the PSU? Just one thing I just thought off.

Thank you all for any and all help you might provide.