[SOLVED] [Troubleshooting] PC reboots or shuts down when gaming

Feb 14, 2021
Hello everyone!
For the past few years i've had a problem occur when i was gaming, at points my PC started either rebooting or shutting down.

I've stopped gaming, and my PC was usable for simple office tasks, or maybe when watching a movie.
But i think it's time i fix this hardware problem.

The thing is, i'm not sure what's causing it, as it never pops a BSOD, plus i don't have extra parts laying around for tests.

I tried stress testing with AIDA64..

Simple stress tests such as CPU, GPU or Memory only, won't cause any problems.
Mixing tests CPU+FPU+Cache+Memory run for 10 mins then i stopped it.
When i mix in GPU it either reboots or shuts down instantly...
It even shut down when i run a GPU + Cache only Test

PC Specs are:
PSU: Corsair CX750
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LP 4GB/module
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX660 DCII

Any help in troubleshooting this problem will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
The 11.9C is definitely not possible. You can't cool devices to less than room temperature with air cooling.

I suspect your old PSU is at the root of the problem. It would appear that is is failing when under a heavy load. Your temps are not getting hot enough to be a concern.

PSUs can and do wear out, yours is nearly 8 years old. Replacing it (or swapping with a known good one to isolate the issue) might solve your problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related.

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, stop and revert to stock speeds.

What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Have you tested your memory for errors (another common cause of such issues)?

This is older tech and you could have a defective/failing component on the motherboard itself. Have you inspected your components for any signs of physical damage?

Feb 14, 2021
These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related.

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, stop and revert to stock speeds.

Have you tested your memory for errors (another common cause of such issues)?

This is older tech and you could have a defective/failing component on the motherboard itself. Have you inspected your components for any signs of physical damage?

I have updated the BIOS to the latest FW (non-beta), reset to factory and disabled core boost and xmp profiles. No overclocking whatsoever and optimal defaults.
In the past when the problem first occured i had tested memory modules overnight without issues, inspected the visible parts / capacitors without finding anything blown.

But to be honest one or two times in the past when i booted the PC i saw 4GB RAM instead of 8GB. After reseating the modules that problem went away.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure your memory is firmly seated and locked into place. Then, test with a tool like memtest:

Have you ever inspected the CPU for missing/bent pins?

Feb 14, 2021
Make sure your memory is firmly seated and locked into place. Then, test with a tool like memtest:

Have you ever inspected the CPU for missing/bent pins?

I wanna thank you for your input!
All is good with the CPU, no missing or bent pins.

Idle Temps
GPU Load Temp
CPU Load Temp

Andddd after testing the temps, it just rebooted twice while idle only having Opera open.... Rebooting while idle never occured before.
How much time should i test with memtest?

Edit: After those two reboots, the CPU is at 30-40oC while idle

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your idle temp in the first picture indicates a possible sensor error. 11.9C is not possible unless you are in a room that is near 0C.

All of your temps look low, I would expect them to be much higher when under load. How cold is the room you are in?

How old is your PSU?

Feb 14, 2021
Your idle temp in the first picture indicates a possible sensor error. 11.9C is not possible unless you are in a room that is near 0C.

All of your temps look low, I would expect them to be much higher when under load. How cold is the room you are in?

How old is your PSU?

20oC in the room right now
I have the HAF XM chassis, with 2x200mm fans front intake, 2x200 top out, 2x140 on the cooler intake and out, and one 140 in the back out.

The PSU is from when i built the system around 2013

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The 11.9C is definitely not possible. You can't cool devices to less than room temperature with air cooling.

I suspect your old PSU is at the root of the problem. It would appear that is is failing when under a heavy load. Your temps are not getting hot enough to be a concern.

PSUs can and do wear out, yours is nearly 8 years old. Replacing it (or swapping with a known good one to isolate the issue) might solve your problem.

Solution
Feb 14, 2021

That's my opinion as well. I gave a 85% for the PSU, 10% for the mobo and 5% for the RAM.
I'll ask around people i know if i can find a PSU for testing, before i proceed with buying one.
What's your take on the censor reading? What would be causing the censor to output wrong values?

Feb 14, 2021
Also not sure if it helps, i have a monitor with speakers connected and for years i've been hearing a hissing sound coming from the speakers. It also gets stronger when running intensive tasks, with HDD usage and also while rebooting.
Maybe the PSU is causing it?
Then again i might need a cable with a ferrite core and the hissing being completely irrelevant