Question Troubleshooting: Red CPU LED MSI z690 PRO-A Raptorlake Build Won't Post

Jan 14, 2023
I can turn it on with the power button, the AIO and case fans spin, but the system won't post. Unfortunately, it's a brand new system with all new components, so it's hard to figure out what is faulty.
First, I'm trying to get rid of the red CPU LED for now, so I unplugged / removed almost everything.
There are no other components plugged into the board except the CPU, AIO, case fans, and front panel power switch.
If the CPU were correctly detected, it should show the RAM LED instead, but it always shows only the CPU LED.
The PSU obviously(?) works since it appears to power the board and fans fine, so I don't think it could be the PSU, which leaves either the mobo or the CPU as the issue.
I guess I will have to remove the cold plate and inspect the cpu / socket for bent pins when I get a magnifying glass.

There is also a potential issue with using a 13th gen intel on a z690 motherboard, but
I made sure to flash the BIOS with an old usb 2.0 thumb drive and update to the latest version before installing the CPU according to MSI's instructions (format to FAT32, copy BIOS file to root and rename as MSI.ROM, insert in the correctly marked usb port and hit flash button, wait till blinking led stops), but I didn't pay attention to exactly how long it was going which some people say is important that it only takes 5-7 minutes, but MSI itself doesn't mention this. Is it possible the bios update LED still blinks for a considerable time even if the thumb drive used is incompatible?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 14, 2023
Mobo: MSI PRO Z690-A Wifi
CPU: i5 13600k
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB (2x 16gb) DDR5 6400
Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB
Chassis: Lancool 216
PSU: Corsair RM 1000X (2021)

Last edited: