Question Troubling USB problem

May 29, 2023
I built 2 pc's back in 2017 both the same parts and basically everything is the same except the cases. One pc was mine and the others was my brothers. I don't actually use mine anymore but when I did it worked fine. Well, my brothers PC has a very weird problem, all the front ports on the pc are 3.0 and the first 2 ports work. The 3rd port bricks anything that goes into it. It's bricked multiple controllers and just then bricked my SSD while trying to move a game over to his pc. I don't live with him during school and honestly just forgot it bricks stuff and just wanted to get the game on both our pc's. This has happened since it was first built, I think. We usually just keep anything usb related out of the last usb ports.

My question is what could be causing this? I tried to find a answer a long time ago and I think I remember someone saying in a thread that it could be the front usb port cords are plugged in wrong but never really looked into cause I thought that would just cause them all not to work. Not 2 of them to work and one to brick any device plugged into it. But any insight on this would be helpful.

thanks!

If more questions need answered I can answer them. This is my first post so I'm not sure how this works.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I built 2 pc's back in 2017 both the same parts and basically everything is the same except the cases. One pc was mine and the others was my brothers. I don't actually use mine anymore but when I did it worked fine. Well, my brothers PC has a very weird problem, all the front ports on the pc are 3.0 and the first 2 ports work. The 3rd port bricks anything that goes into it. It's bricked multiple controllers and just then bricked my SSD while trying to move a game over to his pc. I don't live with him during school and honestly just forgot it bricks stuff and just wanted to get the game on both our pc's. This has happened since it was first built, I think. We usually just keep anything usb related out of the last usb ports.

My question is what could be causing this? I tried to find a answer a long time ago and I think I remember someone saying in a thread that it could be the front usb port cords are plugged in wrong but never really looked into cause I thought that would just cause them all not to work. Not 2 of them to work and one to brick any device plugged into it. But any insight on this would be helpful.

thanks!

If more questions need answered I can answer them. This is my first post so I'm not sure how this works.
Open the pc and check what the faulty USB port is plugged into. It sounds like something ain't right

May 29, 2023
I found the issue; I didn't build my brothers pc. My friend built it based off what i was plugging into mine. He had plugged the usb 2.0 ports into the jfp2 port. So, im gonna assume it was just frying anything plugged into it based of the amount of power being thrown into usb ports.

Reactions: Richj444