News TrueNAS Already Has 1.23PB of Storage Devoted to Farming Chia

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
TrueNAS is amazing. I’ve been rocking SCALE for ~1yr on a home lab. Before that, I ran the BSD version. Really, really good stuff. Now that they’ve ported everything to SCALE (Debian-based), I see that entire ecosystem exploding. Can’t wait to see what comes of it:)

from the article.... 'nearly impossible to turn a profit...'

Dedicated storage at my end costing at least $40/TB, storing lots of useless data from nowhere (written repeatedly in high rates killing SSDs prematurely) that will never be used, recovered, or retrieved...; but, must be a good plan, I mean it has the word 'mining' in it.

I can't wait!

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I have calculated, its just not worth mining chia coins right now.

Lets say you put in 40TB of space now. Each 8TB drive is around USD180. Each drive is around 7.8TB (in terms of binary) so 6 drives is 4.65TB usuable space (you need some space for OS etc)..... So using chia coin calculator, its just around USD72 a month. Your power is easily $10-15 a month. this means you earn just around USD60 a month..... 6 drives cost you USD1080 (yet to even add in PC cost). Takes you 18 months just to break even!! 18 months!!

This assumes current price of chia coin.... now its on a forever downward trend......

frodoitsmyname

Reputable
Mar 4, 2020
I hope you guys got paid for this advertisement...
Strange that Toms would promote a single tiny pool out of the 100 or so that have started without even mentioning that there are other pools out there some of which are above 100 PiB or more already.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Your power is easily $10-15 a month.
For a hard drive? 7200RPM hard drives use about 5-8W. That's about $0.50 a month for power. That's where the claims of "green" come from. Though that totally ignores the amount of energy needed to create the plots.

It makes no financial sense to purchase any equipment for Chia at the current price. You're not going to make the money back without a significant increase in the price of Chia. If you have old hard drives lying around you aren't using. Tossing them in a system and joining a pool will cost you practically nothing (.50 a month for power) meaning any money you do generate is profit.