[SOLVED] Trying to boot using Rufus gives me blue screen with cursor ?

DannyJayes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
I'm trying to install windows from Rufus media creation file, and when i boot from it it gives me a blue screen with a cursor, but no boot interface or anything. I can press shift+f10 to open cmd(in directory "sources/"), and can move my cursor. That's it. Some people said to try press windows+p but that does nothing. Any idea what I can do?

Solution

DannyJayes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
Where did you get Rufus and likewise the Windows OS?

Which Windows Version?

Is there a reason for not using Windows Media Creation Tool?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-download-windows-10-and-create-your-own-installation-media/

Or perhaps a clean install:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
I downloaded the ISO from microsoft site, and used rufus to put it on the drive, I tried two different drives both gave me a blue sscreen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is possible that Windows 10 installation needs UEFI and not standard BIOS. If your install stuck on a blank blue screen (different from a BSOD), it is best to disable launch CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and enable UEFI.

• Press F2 / Del button during boot, and it will enter BIOS.
  • Next, under security, disable secure boot, and switch to UEFI.
  • Restart.
This should resolve the problem with the blue screen. If you are installing this on a fresh SSD, you can select the custom install option. Then select the custom install option, and follow the steps ahead.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-install-stuck-during-installation#:~:text=It is possible that Windows,Support Module) and enable UEFI.&text=Next, under security, disable secure,Restart.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stalling/367ee819-4099-430a-b0f6-63cf7ae598b6

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol. MS link.. i mean t the link i dropped above to Microsoft

Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:
  1. Disable Secure Boot
  2. Enable Legacy Boot
  3. If Available enable CSM
  4. If Required enable USB Boot
  5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order
  6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

what motherboard have you got? do you know? I can look in its manual and see what you are missing. I can't guarantee I will look right away as Its getting late for me. its been a long day, been up 18 hours, need some sleep soon before I start telling people wrong advice :)

"I just tried booting from the microsoft media creation tool "

Did you just put the tool on the usb and try booting from that? It won't work if that's the case. The tool need to be started on a running system to create a Windows 10 install on the usb.

I'm asking because you said you were trying to boot from the tool.

DannyJayes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
"I just tried booting from the microsoft media creation tool "

Did you just put the tool on the usb and try booting from that? It won't work if that's the case. The tool need to be started on a running system to create a Windows 10 install on the usb.

I'm asking because you said you were trying to boot from the tool.
No no I used the tool to create a windows install on the USB.

DannyJayes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
Could this maybe happen because the drives are not clean and don't have any empty partition? If I remember correctly there is an option to wipe them/create a partition after the setup starts

DannyJayes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
lol. MS link.. i mean t the link i dropped above to Microsoft

what motherboard have you got? do you know? I can look in its manual and see what you are missing. I can't guarantee I will look right away as Its getting late for me. its been a long day, been up 18 hours, need some sleep soon before I start telling people wrong advice :)
HP Z4 G4. Damn thanks you your help though

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution