Trying to decide on a high-end monitor for gaming (144hz, 1440p, G-Sync)

Helifano

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
As the title says, I am looking for a monitor with the following specs:

144hz refresh rate, 1440p resolution, G-Sync, 24-30" screen size

Upon the available options I have landed on the Dell S2716DG. It fits my exact parameters for approximately $570 USD. The response time for this is 1 ms. The screen size is 27".

However, I was considering the new ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q, which also meets all specified desires but also has IPS, for a jump to $800. The response time for this is 4 ms. The screen size is also 27".

I am completely torn on this decision. I have never used ANY high-end monitor, nor have I ever seen an IPS monitor in general. I have almost nothing to compare it to but I don't want to go with the Dell and end up regretting having not spent the extra $230 for IPS. I'm not a graphics designed and even though I want to eventually get into some video editing, I don't do any of that now. I want opinions on the differences and whether or not it's worth it. I would also love an unbiased pros/cons list of IPS vs TN. I feel like every post I see, someone is anti-TN or anti-IPS for illogical or biased reasons. Thank you for reading and I appreciate any information provided.

Solution
Well, both monitors are excellent and the command a high price tag for that reason. The ips is going to cost more due to its better color reproduction and viewing angles. The tn panel will not be as good but will be slightly faster gtg. Is it worth it? It depends how picky you are about the color. S2716DG is high tn monitor so don't mistake for the really bad sub $100 monitors. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to good ips in your case.
Well, both monitors are excellent and the command a high price tag for that reason. The ips is going to cost more due to its better color reproduction and viewing angles. The tn panel will not be as good but will be slightly faster gtg. Is it worth it? It depends how picky you are about the color. S2716DG is high tn monitor so don't mistake for the really bad sub $100 monitors. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to good ips in your case.

Solution

GregS0125

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
The 1 ms response time means its a TN Panel, 4 ms response time is an IPS (or similar style) panel. With that said, TN panels suffer from poor angle visibility. Not a problem usually for people who only look at it straight on. Also, TN panels have notoriously terrible picture quality. But they make up for these two issues with incredibly responsive technology. IPS Panels have beautiful, vibrant, color, but they are slower then TN panels. Also, IPS panels have issues with dead pixels and back light bleed. The decision comes down to performance or picture quality. The Acer XB270HU seems to have a fairly low response time and very good picture quality. Also, unless you're a professional tournament quality gamer whos income is directly related to how good you are at shooters. There is no reason to sacrifice the best picture you can get at 144hz. It would be like visiting the most beautiful places on earth with a visually dampening set of glasses on. My suggestion get a 144hz 1440p Gsync monitor in an IPS or similar panel. Unless you really need a TN panel for high end competitive, esports, level.